Car CD player - anything I can clean besides the lens?

Jeff

That's quite a story :). Applies here and interesting that it looked clean on the outside, and inside it was that brown...

Reply to
curls

Dave:

As I'm reading, I will work harder next time (!!) to make sure I'm not buyi ng a smoker's car that was fixed up well, so I can't smell it. There's onl y one givaway in this car, a slight grey mark up where a person would hold their hand out a window. When a detailer steamed the roof, he showed me on cloth that it had been a smoker's car.

The 91% seems to have cleaned off the lens. It's not 100% working, but it' s much much better. Though it was cleaning a tiny surface by rubbing it ma ny times in different directions. Then thinking I was done and doing it a few more times later on.

Reply to
curls

That's fun. I may just find myself picking up things ... and fixing them.

Reply to
curls

Ian

I was careful. It moved, but in a normal way, so was able to swipe at it :) I lot of my repair time was spent staring at the unit before making moves, lol.

Reply to
curls

No Fry's near me. But Microcenter is like Fry's, and has it, turns out.

Foam-tipped swabs - will have to keep an eye out now that I know they exist.

I'm sure burning is cheaper for smaller runs. Can even be done at home by a starting artist musician (which is several of my albums.)

Reply to
curls

Jeff

Wouldn't have guessed Alcohol is hydroscopic. Or that water in 70% is needed to make the bugs go belly up (or blow up).

I was thinking of asking on Freecycle for a thimbleful, if I decide I need it. I'd certainly offer if I'd bought a pricey bottle and someone asked.

Reply to
curls

On Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 11:19:23 AM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote: Hope your power is on and staying steady that way!

The box with the lens looks very much like that first link of an optical pi ckup. It moves up and down a spirally thing. I cleaned the circular glass button in the middle which I assume is the lens, including the edges. I c ouldn't get access from above and had to reach from the side from an openin g in the casing.

However, that box has a screw on the other side when I turn the player over . (It's one of the photos of bottom.) So I'm guessing the mirror glass is in there. Where exactly is the mirror in that link? In the second link, n othing is marked mirror. There are two flat squares that look like they'd be it.

My worry is that there are adjustments, and they'll be messed up just by op ening the box. Seems like it should be openable without damage, but I'd wa nt to know it's usually not a problem to open the box.

Yes, replacement parts would be hard to find unless a company lists them by car model. I did find a number of Mazda 3 radios on ebay. It's always ri sky that they didn't test them well, or who knows what. Some were cheap bu t the better feedback ones were over $100, and often $160 or so. Some chea p ones seemed to be because the faceplate was scratched which of course isn 't a problem for me. So if I get too frustrated... that's my backup plan.

I had before posting here. Did I miss a section or anything in particular?

Okay!

Good point about the windows getting dirty on their own.

Good to know. It'd be impossible in this case to see. But for that non-ca r one I want to fix.

Reply to
curls

- Sam's write up says there may not be a turning mirror, if there's enough vertical space to skip it.

- The pickup seems worse in hotter weather. Is there a logical reason for this?

Reply to
curls

Yep. The water absorption for ethanol and water stops at a 95.6% mix (by weight): or for denatured alchohol at 91%.

Incidentally, water absorption in ethanol fuel is a potential problem in high humidity marine environments: "How Ethanol Gas Attracts Water from the Air - Demonstration"

Yep.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

Well, good to know. Also that 91% is good enough for this job. Stuff I wouldn't even think to think about, turns out to be very relevant.

I tried to find and clean the mirror. No success getting in far enough.

Now it often reads when first loaded. But has trouble after it's loaded, and stopped, on finding it to read again. Can't imagine what causes that?

Reply to
curls