connect portable MP3 to auto audio?

I want to play USB music on my pickup audio, and was wondering if I can find a certain wire and splice the output of my portable MP3 player into it. Most people would go buy a new MP3/CD/radio, but I like tinkering with things and saving money.

Reply to
nick andros

You state you like tinkering... I suggest you build a stereo FM transmitter kit. You plug the output of the MP3 player into the transmitter, and then tune the FM radio into it's transmission..... really good for using different vehicles as you don't need to make any changes to the car's radio/CD/Cassette player system.

check out the article from Silicon Chip magazine

it is available in kit form from Dick Smith Electronics kit number K5009
or kit number KC5341 from Jaycar electronics

Both suppliers do mail order.

Pip

Reply to
Pippa Reeves

Thank you. That may be more tinkering than I wanted, or it may be exactly what I need to do. It does sound like a great idea. I could use it with any (auto, home . . . ) fm radio. Would the sound quality be affected enough to make any difference? I am not a music freak, but want to hear certain things when I want to hear them. That way I can listen to something I chose to record rather than what the local radio people pick to play.

Reply to
nick andros

There are commercial FM modulators available designeed for taking the audio for any type of MP3 player and broadcasting it to the car radio. Some are just slightly larger than a cigarette lighter plug. Try a Google search for - MP3 Modulator -. Walmart even sells a unit for $30 US that will take a USB memory stick with stored MP3 files as an input.

-- Chuck Wozniak

Reply to
Chuck Wozniak