Cap Leakage

OK, here's number 7. Put it in a domestic dishwasher then warm room dry for a week.

What does it matter? All you're doing is washing & drying.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Ok, Update and another question.

I removed all the leaking caps plus the others of the same type and size that had not shown signs of leakage just to be thorough.

I then cleaned the board with some mild detergent, rinsed off and placed in my pre-heated oven at 220F and then turned off.

Let set in the oven for about 2 hours while it cooled. Pulled the board out and it looks good.

So far so good. It is now time to install the new caps.

And then it hit me.

This is a double sided board. I am concerned that the component side of the board that is under the capacitor will not be soldered properly to the leads.

Is there some trick that needs to be applied somehow to get this soldered properly??

Again thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Hopefully the holes are waht they call 'plated through' where there is a path through the hole to the other side that is conductive. Just use plenty of solder and heat and it should wick to the other side.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Thanks Ralph,

That was the key point I was missing. I metered each side of the board on one hole, and yes, I got continuity.

Excellent!! Sooooooooo "Piece of cake".

Thanks again.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

If it's a piece of cake you'll need to handle it quite carefully when soldering :) If electronics ever becomes edible that would solve the disposal issue.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Funny........................

Reply to
ABLE1

------------------

** FFS stop using the term "leakage" wrongly.

In electronics, "leakage" refers to current passing through an imperfect insulator.

What you have is caps *leaking electrolyte*.

** That makes no sense.

You can see the component side and solder to it.

The reverse side may be a problem to get at, but nearly all PCBs have plated through holes that you can solder from EITHER side.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Thanks Phil,

Mental note made.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

You now know about the plated-through holes, but be aware that while they show continuity now, they may not after soldering. Some manufacturers do not feature sturdy plating in the holes (Samsung is one), and the added leaked electrolyte can aggravate it.

Preheat the board, apply solder flux, use sufficient solder tip heat and carefully insert the capacitors through the holes. Don't force them like you might do on a single sided board.

Reply to
John-Del