Hitachi plasma Bad digital board can I replace at home?

Found out my Hitachi 55hdt79 plasma has a bad digital board. I downloaded the manual last night and saw it looks like a plug in style build up. A new digital board is $450 but the cost for the local TV man to install is WAY too much. Can this board be changed out at home? if so, what precautions need to be taken? I paid a fortune for the TV but dont have the amount they want to install. It just can't be that hard.

Thanks in advance. john

Reply to
MTRHEAD

John, I'm tempted to say if you have to ask, you can't do it, but that's an oversimplification. I am NOT familiar with that set. Does the manual give explicit instructions? And what is your level of experience? Most modern electronics is designed to be serviced at the board level; no soldering iron required.

HOWEVER, sometimes certain information must be transfered from the old board to the new, adjustments must be made or jumpers set on the new board. And of course there are cables to be unplugged and reconnected.

If you have problems changing oil in your car, plugs disconnect from power cords when you unplug appliances, and you routinely injure yourself with a phillips screwdriver, DON'T try this yourself.

If, on the other hand you are one of those superbeings who can build a computer from a box of parts while talking to your mother-in-law on the phone AND babysitting three toddlers simultaneously, this should be a snap.

PlainBill

Reply to
PlainBill

PlainBill, Thats the only thing I'm worried about. I can change boards in robots and do most handyman things from motors to household appliances. I'm just not sure if info has to be transferred or something like software downloads. The repair man wants $450.00+ to change the board. Overall I think he's expensive. I'm going to call another shop and ask them a basic quote. If its $200 labor an hour than its probably simple. I think I'm going to do it myself...if it doesn't work I pay a little more for theother stuff. Set is like NEW...

Reply to
MTRHEAD

No the manual doesn't give explicit instructions. However I will need to read again. It shows the board, diagnostics,and patterns. Not much "super" technical unless you have picture problems then it refers to lunix software updates and other TV lingo settings.

Reply to
MTRHEAD

Let's see if I understand this. The digital board costs $450, and the serviceman wants another $450 to replace it??? I am out of touch, but $450 seems outrageous unless you live more than 40 miles from the shop.

Unless they have something really screwy with the set, I would think it would take less than an hour - and that's if you have it on a wall mount.

PlainBill

Reply to
PlainBill

Yes you are right $450 for the part $50 to pick up the plasma $70 for service look $450 for labor and $50 for return...then he stated uhm...$450 total for service. He thought he had me...I picked up my Plasma today and never going back...I made the mistake of not getting a write up on the spot before he drove off with my plasma...So I went to few other shops today. $175-$215 repair based on the board only. I really want to do it myself I'm just worried about the board being bad (new one) or something else that I wouldn't know. The service manual has NOTHING specific around the digital board so it must just be plug play.

Reply to
MTRHEAD