Broken fan assisted oven

Make: NEFF Model: B1421W

My oven caused the circuit breaker/trip switch to 'trip' the other day. Everything seems to work fine now except it won't generate any heat when using the oven - the grill works fine though.

A work colleague said it could be the element and that he'd replaced one before and it wasn't too difficult. I first pulled the oven out and took the back cover off. I quickly realised I should be opening it up from the inside to get to the element, but noticed two scorch marks (see back_view.jpg, scorch1.jpg and scorch2.jpg) on the insulating material. I still thought my best bet was the element so put the back cover back on and went to look inside.

The element looks fine to me (see inside.jpg and element2.jpg) and I couldn't remove the fan itself in order to investigate behind the back panel of the oven interior.

Are the scorch marks 'normal' or are they a likely cause of the oven not heating? If they are related, what could have caused them? I'd expect them to be closer together (they're on either side of the oven), but that's only because the two wires connecting to the element enter at the same point and also the scorch marks don't look like they were caused by heat from the inside, though there's nothing between all the gubbins at the back and the exterior panel at the back that looks to have caused them either.

All advice most appreciated. The oven is only 3 years old and I'd like to repair it myself if possible - with the help of some knowledgeable folk on this board of course!

Many thanks in advance,

\/era

+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: inside.jpg | |Download:
--
vera
Reply to

One day vera got dressed and committed to text

G'day Vera Assuming that you have no test equipment, the basic method that would be used by a serviceman would be to start with testing the element for continuity and resistance to 'ground'. This can be done in situ but with the lack of equipment you are stymied. The other option would be to remove the element and take it to be tested. From the description of the fault it sounds likely the element has failed and the first step would be to test it. There also could be a problem in the wiring instead but once again you will need some experience to check it, along with the equipment. I can only see 1 jpg of the bottom of the element/fan in the link.

--
Regards ..... Rheilly Phoull
Reply to

No way to know for sure, but my guess is that the scorch marks are unrelated and may just be normal discoloration over time.

You have the element removed, correct? Check it or have your buddy check it with a multimeter. My guess is that it's now open circuit and needs to be replaced even though it looks good.

(BTW, found the pics by changing the "101" to other numbers, you should have provided explicit links.)

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

vera writes:

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

the

it.

will

1

Lack of test equipment shouldn't be an issue, one can pick up a suitable multimeter for $10-$20, maybe less these days and it'll come in handy for other things too.

Reply to
James Sweet

unrelated

If it tripped the circuit breaker I would suspect the element or the wiring somewhere shorted to ground, in the process it may have burned out the contacts on the thermostat or blown an internal fuse.

Reply to
James Sweet