Braun/Oral B electric tootbrush.

I have a Braun/Oral B electric toothbrush that is slowly fading out. At first, the green l.e.d. charging light would barely light even though it would still charge. Then, a few days later, the two minute timer that interrupts the motor stopped working. Finally, the motor speed has dropped noticeably and will not even run for two minutes. I'm trying to figure out how to disassemble this thing and maybe replace the batteries. It's approximately ten years old. Here is a picture of the bottom casing.

I've poked and prodded but can't seem to get this thing apart without chipping the plastic. If anyone has been down this road before I'd like to know how to change the batteries.

Thanks for your reply.

--
David Farber
David Farber's Service Center

I'm not positive it was a Braun, but the last one I got apart I did by pushing the handle onto the charging base and turning it 90 degrees.

--
                 Angry American flags attack Hillary Clinton!
Reply to

The Braun's I've had don't seem to be designed for battery replacement.

Some of the charger stands have pins and flanges for the purpose of ripping open the toothbrush to remove the cells for recharging. Whether you can successfully reassemble the brush is another matter. I've never tried.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I think I remember the language in the materials that came with my Braun electric toothbrush referring to the "twist and snap open" procedure as something to be used during disposal -- as mandated by Gummint Rules. To discard the toothbrush one is supposed to break out the battery(ies) and dispose of them 'properly' whilst you tossed the rest of the carcass into the bin.

I'm sure almost NOBODY does that -- but, it keeps otherwise un-employable folks busy at the Gummint Department of Inexplicable Processes and Daft Procedures.

Jonesy

--
  Marvin L Jones    | jonz          | W3DHJ  | linux
   38.24N  104.55W  |  @ config.com | Jonesy |  OS/2
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Allodoxaphobia

This one is obviously not the same as mine, but within the charging 'cradle' (which was keyed) you could twist the body so the bottom would come loose. If yours is not keyed, you need to find a way to hold onto the bottom section while separately holding onto the body and twisting about 90 degrees.

Once loose, the bottom would pull out and reveal the guts.

The battery was encased in a plastic "cage", and not a "user serviceable" part, but if you're careful about it, it can be done.

Although the battery (NiCd in my day) was not a "normal" size, we did have an electronics outlet here in Australia that sold similar batteries. So if you look, you should be able to find them around your neck of the woods.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
Reply to

ripping

I upped the force I used to pop open the bottom and was able to remove the case. I didn't realize that a 45 degree counterclockwise twist of the bottom plate allowed the internal "hooks" to have a clear exiting path. You still have to pry a screwdriver in there to nudge it out. Inside, there was quite a bit of moisture. You could actually see water puddling up in some places on the PC board. The picture tells all:

Time for a new toothbrush.

--
David Farber
David Farber's Service Center
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Farber

'cradle'

degrees.

serviceable"

have

if

I'll know this for next time. I let too much time pass before opening the case and stopping the water damage. I wonder if you can get a new rubber washer/seal kit for this brush. lol

Thanks for your reply.

--
David Farber
David Farber's Service Center
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Farber

That should have been recycling, of course, not recharging.

bottom

quite

Considering that the point of tightly sealing them is to force you to buy a new toothbrush when the battery fails, it's amazing that any water got in at all.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

bottom

quite

For anyone wanting to make their electric toothbrush survive longer. Fix the charger unit to the underside of a shelf and make some sort of carrier or sprung/elastic plus clip, for the motor unit to be held vertically upside down under the charger "base". Goo will always find its way past what may initially be a seal around the rotating shaft down into the works, unless you park it upside down. The makers want to sell more units.

N Cook

The manual of my Philips Sonicare says, that the battery is "not to be replaced", but on failing the whole unit should be dumped. When I discovered that, I decided, never to buy a Philips device again.

Regards, H.

Reply to
Heinz Schmitz

I have two of those, one without a charge light. I was under the impression those things were pretty much water tight. Mine ( the one with charge light) is about 9 years old and still going strong. Mine is white and the other is blue, the one my son uses, don't like to swap heads and it charges on my charger.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Per Heinz Schmitz:

I went through one rechargeable electric toothbrush and learned my lesson.

Now I use the most el-cheapo Braun that has the circular brush and takes two AA batteries - that last a looooong time.

I think a pack of three replacement brushes costs more than the entire device - with one brush on it - does.

I don't do it, but one can always opt to use rechargeables....

--
PeteCresswell
Reply to

But this is true of all the rechargeable toothbrushes.

The Sonicare probably does a better job than the cheap Braun, but I'd be reluctant to claim that as fact.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

The make a Sonicare now that uses standard AA batteries. I have one of the older ones with the built in battery, it's been going strong for about 8 years now, my dentist recommended it and I've been very happy with it. My mom gave me an older one with a failed battery, I've been meaning to crack it open with the bench vise and see if I can replace the battery, the thing ought to work well for cleaning small parts.

Reply to
James Sweet

parts.

I've just started on my third _pair_ of Sonicares, and find they last 3 to

3.5 years. You are fortunate to have yours last 8 years.

You are welcome to my last two for the cost of postage.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I've had three of them apart and have not observed any moisture inside; others have found toothpaste getting into the top bushing and binding the shaft. Some of the units (in my case, the older ones) use two 2/3A batteries (e.g. Sanyo KR600AE), others a single AA. I replaced an AA cell with a high-capacity NiMH, and the first charge lasted a month (used two minutes per day).

TM

Reply to
tonym924