BCI31 BC182 BC212 NICD ZAPPER

I would like to build a NiCa zapper and am looking for replacements, subsitutions for BC131, BC182, BC212.

The zapper is at

if anyone would like to take a look and give any comments.

Thanks

Reply to
dw

Be really useful on this group if posters would indicate which country they are in.

BC182, BC 212 are available in the USA and UK easily enough.

BD132 equivalent is NTE242 but probably lots more equivalents.

JC

Reply to
Archon

=A0 if

It is much easier to charge a large capacitor and then discharge the capacitor directly acrorss the NICAD battery terminals. It usually will open up any internal whisker shorts that have developed.

Reply to
hrhofmann

=A0if

d text -

I use a 4000uf 55V cap and it often will bring back some cells but it often won't revive really dead cells. I have also used it on entire battery packs with some dead cells and sometimes it will revive the dead cells inside and render the pack useable again. I wonder if this design works better though. I'm tempted to build it. Lenny.

Reply to
captainvideo462002

BC182 and 212 are old TO-92 general purpose npn and pnp devices. BC547 and BC557 are more modern equivalents.

BD131 ( npn 15W datasheet rating 45V ) is rarely seen now as it's an odd package. One of the TIP power range e.g. TIP 29 (40V 30W) would probably fit in that location although the package is different. Watch the pinout and get it the right way round. Data for all these can be googled.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Actually it's a BD132 (pnp), so you'd need a TIP30.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore