Bad IDE Interface ...

Here's one I've never had before. Earlier this week, my wife informed me that a business-related CD ROM that she uses regularly on my machine, was failing to read. She was right. Further investigation revealed that the machine, a Dell, could no longer see my 250GB data drive either. This drive is a Seagate, and was replaced probably a little over a year ago, because its predecessor, which had been in there a long time, had begun dying with nasty noises and erratic reads. Both the CD ROM drive and the Seagate, are on IDE channel 1, in cable select format.

My first suspicion was that something had happened to the mother board's IDE driver IC, but the Windoze diagnostic said that it was ok. Further checks disconnecting stuff, showed the problem to be the Seagate drive that was hanging up the channel 1 IDE bus. As soon as it was disconnected, the CD ROM drive came back on line.

I got a new 320GB drive from Maplin's for 49 quid (how good a deal is that ?) and was able to restore its contents from the external backup drive that I have, and which does a backup automatically every night.

I've never had a drive fail in this way before, problems usually being motor or bearing related. Anyone else had it ?

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Sure, many times in fact. Most of my IDE drive electrical failures didn't hang the bus, but a few have.

Michael

Reply to
msg

Yes. At least once. Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

I've never had one lock up the IDE bus like that, but I have had the drive electronics fail many times. What kind of drive was it? I used to have particularly bad luck with western digital caviar series but that was a long time ago. .

Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

As noted above Mike, a Seagate. I'm sitting here looking at it now. Says it's a "Barracuda 7200.8 250 Gb"

It didn't hang Windoze as was suggested by Franc. It just hung the IDE 1 channel permanently. Windoze could not see either device on that channel, but otherwise, worked normally. As soon as the Seagate was unplugged from the bus cable, the other device on that channel - a CD ROM drive - became visible again. New drive installed on the same cable, works just fine, as the Seagate did before this failure.

Now, slight change of tack. Can anyone see anything 'odd' about this post or the copy of it, (header, body, routing, whatever) compared to any of my previous or current posts ? For some reason, I cannot see it here on the Virgin Media news server, which is what lead to me reposting it. Is anybody else that can see it ok, on the Virgin Media (formerly NTL) server ? This is the second time that I have had a new thread post fail to appear - to me at least - since they changed server a couple of months back. In years of posting on the old server, it had never once happened.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Which Windoze ?

XP is particularly fussy if IIRC it can't find a valid partition table of errrr, some other file it puts in the root.

Try it on W2k or W98SE and see if it's different.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

It is an XP machine. When I've got the time (and inclination !), I'll try it in the W2k Pro m/c in the workshop.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

69.16.177.246.MISMATCH!cyclone03.ams!news.ams.newshosting.com!npeersf02.ams! newsfe16.ams2.POSTED!53ab2750!not-for-mail

That's a pretty long path just to get here.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Hmmm. It certainly is.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

This reminds me of an experience I had years ago with an old 386 Pc. the IDE would lock up and I traced that to a faulty CD-ROM drive. it was quite a recent drive too (20x), which had been fitted later. so, it can happen....

-B