Automatic Volume Leveling (AVL)

Sounds like those ads are being made on a low budget without the use of a decent sound engineer.

Then you'll understand the problem. We're one of the first skills to go when the bean counters get control. They can't see the results of our work on a spreadsheet. Obviously not enough members of the public complain about poor sound.

--
*How much deeper would the oceans be without sponges? *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

at

unit

the

air.

level

and

I have both free-to-air channels and cable TV. When watching cable and the ads come on my wife looks up from her crocheting and says "you don't have to turn the volume up"......

Not to dismiss your extensive experience in sound engineering, it seems that it doesn't matter how the broadcast gets to you, the ads still appear to be "louder". Maybe your cable TV company does try to reduce the apparent level of ads.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

It's quite enlightening that near everyone talks about ads being 'too loud' rather than the progs being too quiet. Shows really where they're coming from. And that, as I said, it's very much down to the individual how much they annoy. Which makes it near impossible to satisfy everyone. Except the advertisers who are the paymasters.

Here in the UK we have the BBC which is licence fee funded. So doesn't carry commercials. But it does carry adverts for its own programmes etc and these are equally as guilty of often sounding louder than the progs either side. Only real advantage is they don't interrupt the programme.

--
*Who is this General Failure chap anyway -  and why is he reading my HD? *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

One of my pet peeves is audio engineers whose way of thinking seems to go: My equipment has 650 dB of dynamic range and I'M GOING TO USE EVERY dB OF IT! Then there are the directors who repeatedly make sure that at least ten really quiet, whispering, nearly-no-sound scenes are immediately and rapidly followed by massive explosions. or jet plane takeoffs.

--
Dec. 6 (Bloomberg) -- Government officials and activists flying to Bali,
Indonesia, for the United Nations meeting on climate change will cause

I noticed that you were in the UK, and should have taken that into account.

I'm really complaining about a specific situation here that probably will not translate to your experience in Jolly Ol'.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

is, and

and

???

You appear to be inferring that the problem lies with the viewer. If your logic is correct then the viewer should determine the volume setting by the loudest material being broadcast, ie. the advertisements. That way they would have difficulty in hearing the real program material and then be forced to complain to the broadcaster that they wanted the program sound level cranked up.... Yeah, I'll go along with that....

Have a good Christmas.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Did you read the rest of the post where I explained this statement?

It does, to a certain extent. See my comment about kids and their music.

At the end of the day the result is the same.

--
*Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine*

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Samantha Brown, visiting Edinburgh,Scotland. ((Passport to Europe, Travel channel)) (Edinburgh, one of my favorite places on Earth) vonage tv commercial and one or two other commercials came on tv) TV remote MUTE buttons are one of the Best Inventions ever.TV commercials and many Radio commercials are most of the times wayyyyyyy too loud. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Some of those old, old, old movies,,,, if you just barley have the sound/audio cranked up enough,,,, you/I can listen to them comfortably well enough.Some of them need for the sound/audio to be cranked up more.Those tv commercials almost all sound like they are so loud, they can be heard on Planet MAs.(espicially those high tone extra loud Bllly Mays tv commercials.The tv/tv channels/tv producers/whatever y'all want to call them,,,,,,,,,, They just don't ''Get It'',,, they never have and they never will either.The Worst thingys about tv is those tv (radio too) commercials.y'alls ''technical jargon/lingo'' can never explain them. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

If you can invent a wireless invention gadget that will automatically kill the audio of all tv commercials,,, you might be allowed membership into the Augusta,Georgia Country Club. Bill Gates never amounted to anything, The Augusta CC turned him down. I Love it! cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Stop buying the advertized products .Call the station and complain . If everyone did it may help .and most of all stop buyng new cars .

Reply to
Ken G.

membership

down.

You will have noticed that whenever ads are being run the channel logo is not broadcast. If someone can build a device to detect absence of logo and then mute the audio, that will fix the problem.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

No doubt Billy Mays is a good old boy, but most tv channels I click on, sooner or later he shows up on there and I have to either change channels or hit my tv remote MUTE button for a while.You can hear him all the way up and down the street. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

If you decode the data in the reserved lines at the top of the frame, there is information about the commercials.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I'm just curious; are a lot of you blocking posts from Supernews, or am I plonked? I had replied about vertical interval information to the O.P. days ago.

Regards,

Michael

Reply to
msg

So if there IS something to decode that makes commercials unique (detectable), why has no aftermarket device been devised?? As we have all noted, the market would be huge. As one audio engineer stated, maybe the audio quality would suffer a bit, but I bet we could get used to that much easier than what we all commonly seem to go through now.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

Hmm, I see you! should I run now? :)

--
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

"Daily Thought:

  SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT
  THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"
Reply to
Jamie

Network feeds contain the information needed by their affiliates to inset local commercials, along with a lot of other data. I have looked at it with a video waveform monitor, but I've never found an information on their propritary coding. I no longer work in broadcast TV, and have no connections to the industry, these days.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Supernews is filtering some postings through Google Groups. Mostly cross posted, and certain trolls.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Alice, one of my Six WebTV alter ego user name thingys is, Alice.You watch out there! My Alice doesn't take no prisoners, that is a Fact! cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin