"Growler" armature tester

I have recently aquired an old Allen Electric Type E30 tester for motor/generator armatures. It's a simple device but I suspect the wiring has been tampered with/modified. Does anyone know the wiring diagram ? Tnx Jim H.

-- Message posted using

More information at

jimhigh66

Gee, the last one I saw was a coil and a switch. (maybe a lamp in series?)

Reply to
PeterD

Read Wikipedia:

-- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Samuel M. Goldwasser

It had been rewired. The probes would have been useless for anything except as a source of 120V. The bulb, having been wired directly across the coil would have been useless except as an indicator that power was applied. I've rewired it "safe". Tnx for inputs.

-- Message posted using

More information at

jimhigh66

About ten years ago, I bought a Growler at a fleamarket, I paid three dollars for the Growler.At the time, I didn't know it was a Growler or what it was used for.I took it to Flanagan Electric company.A guy at Flanagan checket it out by moving it around inside of a motor armature.Flanagan paid me seventy five dollars for my Growler.

I have here something I bought cheap at a Goodwill store, a few years ago.The device measures about eleven inches long and about two inches in diameter.It looks sort of like an oversize large plastic crayon.There is an electric cord on the bottom of the device and also a little knurled brass knob on the bottom of the device.On the bottom of the device it says, Master Appliances,Inc Marion, Indiana 20 W 115 V

What is it? What is it used for? How old is it? cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

It might be a degaussing wand/pen, intended to remove residual magnetism from the erase and record/playback heads in a tape deck?

Dave Platt

I think there is a piece missing from the device, it was like that when I bought it.Looking at the inside of the tip of the device, there is a round metal tube which has a bottom, a little philips head screw holds the metal tube in place. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Possibly an Oudin or Tesla coil for checking vacuum systems and other equipment with high voltage like:

-- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Samuel M. Goldwasser

That's it! My father had arthritis and bought one that included several glass discharge tubes that plugged into the HV socket. Turn the knob to adjust the buzzer that controlled the excitation, put the tube against where it hurts (or Hertz) and the tube lit up with a pale blue discharge.

The UV generated a little ozone. The discharge current leaked through the glass and produced a tingling on your skin. Neither effect cured arthritis.

That was 50 years ago. Now I've got arthritis.

Reply to
Bryce

In cold weather, sometimes one of my fingers on my right hand will lock up, arthritis, I think.When it does that, I put a little bit of WD-40 on there.It works for me. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

On the web, Oudin Devices

I looked and I saw,

Third picture down, that large pencil/crayon looking thingy looks just like the device I have. cuhulin, the quack

Reply to
cuhulin

I remember the same one. We had the whole collection of tubes and snazzy case. In addition to the discharge tubes, there was a tubular metal wand that could be plugged into the spark coil. Produced quite a jolt.

I suppose it's too late to join in the class action suit.

Reply to
Bryce

Yep, they show up on eBay from time=to-time, complete with the gas tubes.

-- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites: