So has half of Cuba.

Reply to
GMAN

m..=3D

ne)

ut

ad

he

Just because something has a different model number, doesn't mean it won't work.

Sometimes the same product can have an updated model number.

That was the reason for my "Any Panasonic VCR Experts In Here?".....I took a chance, and it didn't work out.....oh well.

Instead of criticizing what I did, give me an answer as to why it didn't work...besides they weren't the same model number.

Reply to
Ron

OK. Well the offsetting of the screw holes is what I had expected, so I really don't know what you can have done. I can't think of any way that either set of heads, let alone both, can have been damaged by simply swapping them between machines. Even if one set had much more 'robust' windings to take a higher bias current on record, they should at least have survived in the other machine. It's been a while since I did much work on VCRs as they have not been popular here for a couple of years now, but 'muddy' is not a description that I would normally have found a way of putting to a hifi sound track. Usually, this track has a tendency to drop out completely when the heads wear, and the machine reverts back to the linear sound track, which can be muddy if the A/S head is not properly aligned. You said before that you had altered the setting of the supply guide roller. Have you tried making sure that you have that back in exactly the right place ? As I think I pointed out earlier, correct recovery of the hifi sound track is critical of several factors.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

ve

ly

he

I never touched the roller guides on the older VCR that worked fine. All I did was remove the upper drum (or whatever it's called) and install it on my "newer" Panasonic.

There was no HiFi audio icon on the newer unit with the older drum unit.

So, I removed it, and reinstalled it on in the unit it came from and I now have muddy/humming audio.

And vice-versa.

Reply to
Ron

I wasnt criticizing you, I just was basically telling you it wasnt going to work, but you tried it anyways. they are completely different parts from two different series of chassies.

I am sorry it didnt work out for you. Keep looking around at salvation army or thrift stores and you might find another one of those models. I see panasonics at the local Deseret Industries thrift stores all the time for $5.

Reply to
GMAN

my or

onics

That is my plan. Salvation Army, Goodwill, Craigslist, etc.

Reply to
Ron

About the only thing that could have gone wrong is that one of the hi-fi heads got damaged while you were swapping them. It's easy to bump one of the heads and break it. Did you try cleaning the heads after the swap? Did it at least fix the video problem?

There's a slight chance that you need to adjust the head switching point. It was very critical on older hi-fi VCRs. Just removing and replacing the same head drum can be enough to throw it off. I don't know if newer Panasonics require an adjustment.

I've found that video heads will usually work fine if they physically fit, and have the same number of heads.

In a few rare cases, heads from different manufacturers can even be swapped. For example, in the 80's and early 90's Goldstar copied Panasonic's head mounting and electrical connections exactly. I fixed many Panasonics with heads salvaged from Goldstar VCRs. It worked out well because Panasonic VCRs lasted a long time and often had worn out heads. On the other hand, Goldstar VCRs usually broke long before the heads had any wear on them. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

My feelings and experience too, Andy. I really can't figure what he did wrong or what happened to bring the situation to the point of neither machine working.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

army or

nasonics

Didn't bump the drum/head on anything. Had the VCR's sitting side-by- side. 4 screws, doesn't get any easier. And the heads were cleaned after the swap, before I even put a tape in.

The video problem still remains on the newer unit, plus it now has the audio problem. The older unit has a fine picture, but it now has the

*same* audio problem. (very muddy and choppy while playing in HiFi.)

g and

Is that something I can do with no special eqt?

I don't see why it wouldn't work, then again, I'm not a VCR repairman.

It's not a huge deal now, last Saturday I found a BRAND NEW Sony SLV- N55 (a better VCR anyway) for $8.00 at a Salvation Army! But, it would be nice if I could resolve the audio problem on the older Panasonic, if possible.

Reply to
Ron