Amana defrost problem

I have an Amana top mount refrigerator with the freezer on the bottom . It won't do an automatic defrost. I have checked the heater coil and defrost thermostat and both seem to be working just fine. I have tracked the problem to one of two boards (I think) Either the low voltage or the high voltage pc board. I don't want to just replace them both as they are a little over $100 each. Also I haven't had any luck with the online repair diagnostics (for a fee) Anyone have experience with this? Model #B136CAL1.

Thanks

Bob

Reply to
pyrobob
90% of those is a bad defrost heater coil. It will measure good when cold. As soon as it heats up it will open up. To verify, pull the heater coil and hook up to a variac to heat it up. Monitor the current pull on the coil and the heat output (be careful).
Reply to
dkuhajda