Alternative DMMs to Fluke?

I got a brand new Fluke 87 about 15 years ago and had nothing but trouble with it . I dont use it all that much and its always stayed on a workbench . It looks like brand new still . It had wierd problems not turning off and making clicking noises when switched off . Now the AC reads 25 volts low when testing an outlet . My used Fluke 73 has neverhad any problems .

The Harbor Freight auto ranging DMM that looks alot like the Fluke 83 ,same size even has a yellow rubber case thingy is sure a nice meter for

20 - 30$
Reply to
Ken G.

Thus spake Ken G.:

Looked at the Wavetek (owned by Fluke) MeterMan DMMs. I like them. I think I might buy a $150 one. I'll keep my Fluke 73 & 77 for everyday measurement (they never quit), but when I need "true RMS" I'll use the MeterMan.

--
DaveC
me@privacy.net

I have a question. Why do they make lap tops so you have to keep the battery installed to run it? I have an old compaq, that doesn't have a transformer, and it doesn't care if the battery is in there or not. Is there a way to bypass this problem?

Reply to
Dana

Your Compaq has a transformer, inside.

As far as I know, not all modern laptops require a battery to be installed in order to run from their wall transformer.

You may have a rather low-powered transformer that can charge the battery but cannot always run the laptop by itself. It uses the battery like a holding tank for moments when the laptop requires more current. What kind of laptop are we talking about?

Reply to
mc

It is a toshiba. If you take the battery out, it won't power up. I thought there might be a way to bypass and just use the wall transformer. I am a blind person, so don't work on theese that much, but don't want to pay $100 for a battery either.

Reply to
Dana

I wouldn't recommend trying to make your laptop work without a battery. Not worth the risk. There are a number of battery suppliers on the web that will sell you a battery for your computer for much less than $100. You might post the laptop model, and if possible, the part or model number on the battery. We can probably find a battery that will be easier on your bank account.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

Some days you're the dog, some days the hydrant.
Reply to
DaveM