advice please

I have a AKAI VCR that is slow to fast forward and rewind but plays at right speed. There is one belt from the capstion motor , is that all its going to be, I notice under pulley that the belt drives is some kind of clutch as it can slip, could that be a problem as well or how would I check. I was going to replace the pinch roller, anything else I should consider ?

Reply to
Fred

The pinch roller only works on play and record.

Are you sure there's only one belt?

--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

(snip)

Buy low, sell high.

Reply to
Don Bowey

There may well be a drive idler that swings between the supply and takeup reel tables for wind and rewind operations. If so, it probably has a perished tyre. However, the problem may not be this simple. If it is one of the VCRs where the tape stays laced up during all functions, you may well have a friction issue caused by wear on the lower head drum. If this is the case, you will usually see better wind performance than rewind. This is because when the player is in wind mode, the tape is travelling in the same direction as the head is rotating, whereas during a rewind operation, it is travelling in the opposite direction, and the additional drag from the rotating head drum, added to the wear friction from the lower drum, is enough to make the rewind poor or non existent. If head drum wear is the cause, often cue and review performance will be affected also, with the review picture being very poor and unstable, compared to the cue picture, for the same reasons as those detailed above. Hope this helps you with a correct diagnosis of the problem.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

of

the

same

is

Reply to
Fred

I like the laced up theory

You can usually feel physically if there are any clutch issues. If the two halves of the clutch turn with respect to one another, very easily, then the clutch needs replacing. A big clue here is that the wind / rewind operations will usually be a lot poorer when the driven spool has a lot of tape on it. If you stop the operation towards the end of a cycle, and then try to restart it, often it won't be able to get going again. However, this symptom can be exacerbated by the friction problem that I mentioned, in combination with a slightly below par clutch, which would otherwise work ok.

The worn head drum friction problem really is quite common on machines that remain laced up, and have done a few year's service. If you try to observe the operation of the machine with the cover off, you may have to hold your hand over the centre of the deck to shield the optical tape-end sensor from overhead light.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily