acrylic cement

Most of you are probably familiar with acrylic cement. I used it for the first time recently, and thought it would be good to share my experiences with those who aren't familiar with it.

The spindle on my record-cleaning machine had broken off, and the repair kit included a tube of Weldon #16 acrylic cement. After drilling out the hole, I globbed the cement on the new spindle and stuck it in place. It stuck very well.

I have a box set of Sinatra recordings with a thick Plexiglas cover. It had been broken, and the acrylic cement fixed it nicely with no trouble. Which is no surprise, as Plexiglas is an acrylic.

What did surprise me was the battery cover on a Sony remote control. It had been split straight down the middle (vertically). As the cover is only 1/32" thick, I expected problems, and wasn't looking forward to fiddling with epoxy or Plas-T-Pair. Much to my surprise, the acrylic glue worked.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Acrylic 'cement' is usually really a solvent. Methylene Chloride is the main ingredient, the rest of the liquid is designed to slow the evaporation of this and thicken it up somewhat. It does a good job of repairing broken plastics that are not Nylon based.

John :-#)#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

It says "solvent cement" on the tube. That's why I was surprised that it worked with plastics that didn't seem to be acrylics.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck