Acer Aspire ZG5

Battery UM08A71 not charging. Got inside the battery pack without too much colateral damage. Put a bit of current limited charge into the cells and retried but the same. I did not expect a computer inside a battery. 24 pin bq29312APW and a labelled over memory? of 38 pins etc. What I thought would be the pass powerFET was a heated fuse , marked

12AH3, presumably

I've never come across the like. Looks as though the heater has failed. So why the heater? Fast fusing of metal in overload situation if its already close to fusing? It is designed specifically for L-ion cell use. I assmue this PC in a battery monitors for heater failure and then locks out from charging. There does not seem to be independent monitoring of the 3 cells. There is a thermistor , well something that is 7.8K sitting there. What would be the kapton covered piece of thin ribbon going to the ,still mounted, unobserved side of the middle cell. Seems the powerFET is 2 off p-ch , marked A2715, 8 pin devices = NEC uPA2715 ?

Reply to
N_Cook

Got further into it and made good contact with the fuse thing and its heater at 7.8R is ok. The foil plus another is tap-offs from the 2 other cell joints so individual monitoring/charging?. Another SMD 4 or 6 pins,skew view, as longish and lumpy perhaps a crystal ,marked Q5B H8

463
Reply to
N_Cook

The heated fuse principle would seem to be used as a crowbar

N_Cook

I'd not current and voltage limited external charging of the battery to high enough minimum voltage. Needed at least 10.5V for this 11.1V battery. Now taking charge from the notebook and all working normally. Next time a similar fault , I'll try just melting holes in the battery casing to make contact with the cell ends and not separate the casing into 2.

Reply to
N_Cook