A problem with a cd player

Old age sucks.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Big time for sure. Thirty years ago, I thought I was immortal, and could keep going for two or more days at a time without sleep. I just couldn't figure how people could degenerate into the old farts that they did. Now I am one, and I look at my daughter looking at me thinking "I just can't figure ... "

Sigh ... :-\\

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

get further into a disc, its rotational speed falls to maintain

Hello

I have an old Telequipment scope who goes up to 1 mhz, it should do the job.

I've look on the main pcb and there is 4 trimpot; T.BAL , F.BAL , FEOF , TEOF

Wich one are for adjusting the Focus Offset ?

Thank a lot

Gaetan

Reply to
Gaetan Mailloux

FEOF should be the one, but a 1 meg scope won't really get it. You can adjust for maximum envelope size, which probably is good enough, but you can't look at the diamond shaped center area of the expanded "eye" pattern as viewed on a 30mHz or higher scope. Sometimes a x10 probe is required, but in my experience it is rare for a direct probe to load down this measurement.

You can "Google CD eye pattern" and see what I'm talking about.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark Zacharias

All that Mark says, but before you start, CAREFULLY mark the EXACT positions of the pots before attempting adjustment. If you do adjust more than one of them (the temptation *will* be there - trust me !!) and you do not have the proper bandwidth 'scope, and the experience to know exactly what you are adjusting and why, it is staggeringly easy to get those pots to a point where nothing will be read at all, often with just a few degrees mispositioning of a couple of them. Re-finding the correct places to get it going again, can then be a most frustrating excercise ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

In article , snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com says...>

You're still young. Don't worry, as your daughter gets older, you'll get wiser. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Hello

I will borrow a Sencore SC61 scope to a friend who do not use it, maby I will buy it anyway since it is doing nothing in his basement.

Btw, what would be T.BAL , F.BAL, TEOF ?

Thank for your help

Bye

Gaetan

Reply to
Gaetan Mailloux

T.B(AL) is tracking balance. Sometimes also known as E-F BAL (named for the designations of the two photodiodes, "E" and "F" in the pickup, which are responsible for generating the tracking control signal). It is required in order to remove unwanted positional offsets of the lens which would otherwise be caused by imbalances in the tracking servo photodiodes in the pickup, and the following opamp in the tracking servo processor.

F.B(AL) is focus balance. Does the same for the focus servo circuitry as TBAL does for the tracking.

TE(OF) is tracking error offset. Allows the electrical zero point of the tracking servo to be set to match the lens suspension mechanical zero. It is needed to offset mechanical errors in the construction of the laser, and electrical servo errors which may creep in as a result of imperfect opamps etc in the servo amplifier.

FE(OF) would be the same thing for the focus servo, and is needed to correct for such things as an error in the turntable height, and similar servo electrical errors.

You may find a pot called PLL on some players. The setting of this is

*extremely* critical to data recovery from the disc, and requires an accurate frequency counter to set it up. NEVER adjust this pot randomly, even if you think that you have marked its original position perfectly.

It is rare to find any of these adjustments present, in modern players. The servo processor ICs are these days capable of performing an analysis of the signal, and introducing and storing appropriate correctional offsets.

Other pots which may also be encountered are T.G(AIN) and F.G(AIN). These set the operational gains of the tracking and focus servo loops. They are often to still be found in modern players. Adjusting these up slightly, can often improve a player with marginal performance, but if set too high, particularly in the case of the focus servo, will result in the lens making a mechanical 'hissing' noise, particularly on a marked or scuffed disc.

Finally, there is always a pot on the laser which sets its output power. With a few notable exceptions such as Pioneer, this pot is sealed and MUST NOT be adjusted. Even a small overdrive of the laser diode, can result in its partial, or even complete destruction.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Depends how you define "young", I guess. I've not yet reached decrepit, but certainly old enough to be waking up in the night for a bathroom stop, and waking up in the morning feeling worse than I did when I went to bed ... d;~}

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I hate it when going through the checkout at the grocer the hot cashier in her mid 20's calls me Sir.

But if I lived in the UK I guess that would be a compliment right :-)

Reply to
Meat Plow

Even a grunt would be nice.

--
*Sorry, I don\'t date outside my species.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Go to Waitrose, Dave. The staff in there are everything that you would ever want them to be, and then some ... I actually don't mind being called "sir". It shows that if nothing else, my age has won me at least a modicum of respect from the next generation down ! :-)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Sir Arfa Daily.

Has a good ring to it ;-)

Reply to
Meat Plow

If you're familiar with the TV series from the eighties which spawned it, even more so !! Interestingly, a 'brought up to date' remake of it starts on British TV this Wednesday evening. Big boots to fill for all concerned, but in the write-ups, the cast say that they are very clear about that, so we'll givit a go ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Just be glad you're still waking up before you go to the bathroom. That's when they pick out a nursing home for you, and hide anything sharp or hot. ;-)

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

If no one picked nits, we'd be buried in the lousy things!

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

In article , snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com says...>

If your daughter still thinks you're dumb, you're not old. As you (she) ages, amazingly, you'll get a lot smarter.

As long as you're still waking up...

I grew out of that a while back, except when the RA is doing its thing. Then mornings are a pain everywhere (but my butt).

Reply to
krw

And there is nothing lousier than nits.

Reply to