A.C. capacitor source needed...

As far as the motor is concerned, a 10uF capacitor is a 10uF capacitor. Yes mounting can be an issue of it's physically too large but electrically it will work perfectly and in my experience the oil filled caps are a lot more robust than the silly little epoxy block ones. I've had several of those fail in refrigerators and window A/C units and I always replace them with surplus oil filled units when space permits.

Reply to
James Sweet

Define "solid state cap"

-- The e-mail address in our reply-to line is reversed in an attempt to minimize spam. Our true address is of the form snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net.

Reply to
CJT

According to the people at Senco(the ones who make this motor btw) using the larrge oil filled capacitor will result in a fried motor. My contact at Grainger even said this. If you go to the Senco site and look at their parts listings for this unit you'll see it's listed as a condenser and functions not just to kick start the motor but to act as a sink to absorb excess voltage as well. I'm told the oil filled units won't do this and using one will result in burned windings. I'm not trying to get into an arguement or big debate, just find the correct size cap for this unit. Shouldn't be that difficult, afterall 10uf is a pretty common value for an AC cap. Not intererested in rubegoldberging this unit either.(not any placce to affix such a large cap onto such a small unit anyway, I'd like to keep this compressor just as it is, small and portable and easy to carry around.

Reply to
none

electrolytic, not oil filled. DUH

Reply to
none

FWIW, I've been dealing with capacitors for decades, and that's the first time I've heard of an electrolytic being called that.

Your best bet is probably to get one from the authorized part dealer you've already identified and, if UPS is such a big problem, prevail upon him to ship it by some alternate means. Most people, if approached nicely, will cooperate, especially if you point out that you're in New Orleans.

minimize spam.  Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
Reply to
CJT

I don't really think you want an electrolytic capacitor in an AC application. Most (not all) are DC rated and do not want to see a reverse voltage. You can probably find a polyproplyne foil or film (in that voltage and capacitance rating), or an oil filled that will work fine.

Reply to
yzordderrex

The capacitors he's referring to are polypropylene, electrolytic caps are often uses for starting induction motors but run caps are poly or oil filled.

Reply to
James Sweet

often uses for starting induction motors but

Mouser has them in 200 and 400 volt ratings....Paul

PJ