2SC3280/81 yamaha MX1000

I am working on a old Yamaha MX1000 power amp. Each amp channel has 3 2sc3280 and two 2sc3281. ditto for the 2A1301/1302.

It appears this is some sort of cascode output topology with the higher voltage 3281/1302 stacked by the rails.

It looks like there are a lot of fakes on the market now for these devices.

I was thinking of just using the 3281/1302's for all. It seems these are just a up rated 3280/1301. any reason NOT to do this?

bob

Reply to
bob

Yes, there are fakes of those numbers.You have to buy from a reputable dealer but even then, I would imagine fakes can still sneak in.

I bookmarked this page years ago. It's still around. HTH.

Good luck.

--
David Farber
David Farber's Service Center

The 2SC3281 / 2SA1302 (3280/1301) types are long discontinued and any new ones you find are FAKES.

The replacements are 2SC5200 and 2SA1943

available in the US from B & D Enterprises.

800-458-6053 and at Bdent.com

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark Zacharias

There are numerous eBay auctions with them listed. So you think they are ALL fakes? Some of the people selling them seem to have excellent feedback ratings.

bob

Reply to
bob urz

I wrote to Toshiba on this subject in 2003. Actually, inquired thru their website. Yes. Unless they are genuine "new old stock" any C3281 / A1302 types being sold are fake.

Here is their response:

Quote:

"Thank you for your e-mail inquiry for 2SC3281 and 2SA1302.

Toshiba no longer manufactures or supplies either 2SA1302 or

2SC3281.

You may wish to consider using Toshiba near equivalent parts which are currently available :

1) 2SA1943 and 2SC5200 TO3PL pkg, 230V, 15A, 150W complementary pair.

2) 2SA1962 and 2SC5242 TO3PN pkg, 230V,15A, 130W complementary pair.

3) 2SA1986 and 2SC5358 TO3PN pkg, 230V, 15A, 150W complementary pair.

Package marking :

1st line is either 'T' or TOSHIBA , identifying the manufacturer and depending on space available. 2nd line is the part number with the '2S' prefix missing, ie 'C3261', or 'A1302'. 3rd line is hFE banding (one letter, or blank for unbanded) and the date code. Date code can be 2 digit alphanumeric, or a dot system. 4th line is country of origin, either Malaysia, or Japan for Toshiba product.

For further assistance, please contact our Rep in your area (DLE Elect @

785-234-9333).

Regards, Tech support"

end quote.