2D Florescent - 2pin/4pin.

I have a 4 pin 2D light in the bathroom that flickers for a steadily increasing length of time before starting and shimmers badly when it does eventually start.

The local electrical retailer only has 2pin types, which I assume has a built in starter.

My question is - can I use a 2pin tube in a 4pin fitting, but not the other way round?

Thanks.

Reply to
ian field

If it's not sealed just repair the ballast. Common failures are the capacitors being underrated.

Meat Plow

I'm seriously tempted to graft in the PCB from a CFL, but I only have 18W CFLs and the 2D is 28W.

Past experiments have shown that a CFL PCB can bring new life to a tube that was considered "worn out" in an iron ballast fitting.

Reply to
ian field

er

I never heard of a 2D light. Are you referring to the bulb or the entire fixture, what wattage, circular or straight, details are needed.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I never heard of a 2D light. Are you referring to the bulb or the entire fixture, what wattage, circular or straight, details are needed.

Search on ebay for 2D fluorescent tube - they've got pictures.

Having done some searches on it, I've come to the conclusion that a 2pin tube might possibly work in a 4pin fitting as it has its own integral starter making the one in the fitting redundant.

However, I've ordered an electronic ballast - and I'm pretty sure that won't work with a 2pin tube.

Reply to
ian field