100v--> 10V Trans. on 120V

Is you being bitch-slapped.

Meat Plow

Snip

From my memory of Nebenzahl postings on this group he's gone from complete noob who knew zilch about electronics to the major critic of other posters in less than a year, time for him to STFU .

JC

Reply to
Archon

On 12/4/2010 4:47 PM Archon spake thus:

So please point out what, if anything, is wrong with what I posted above.

Didn't think so.

[I'm no electronics expert, but I'm not a "complete noob" either.]
--
How To Access Wikileaks

These sites are still up as of 12/3/10:

    http://wikileaks.de
    http://wikileaks.fi
    http://wikileaks.nl
    http://wikileaks.eu
    http://wikileaks.pl

And these IP addresses can be used:

    http://213.251.145.96/
    http://88.80.13.160/
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On 12/4/2010 4:36 PM Meat Plow spake thus:

q.e.d.

-- How To Access Wikileaks

These sites are still up as of 12/3/10:

And these IP addresses can be used:

http://213.251.145.96/ http://88.80.13.160/

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Come on man... Give me a break.. Technically speaking, yes it is a "Power Supply" but in it"s absolutely most simple form. I think had I said Power supply from the beginning I would understand why people would be confused, with most thinking of a SMPS. It is a transformer with a rectifier. I only mentioned the 50/60 hz and the mA rating because of all the controversy.

Anyhow, the issue wasn't is it a power supply or not or if it contains diodes or not....

I'll just check it in a couple of weeks when I'm back home, with my DMM and see if my guess was right.

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Anyhow, the issue wasn't is it a power supply or not or if it contains diodes or not....

I'll just check it in a couple of weeks when I'm back home, with my DMM and see if my guess was right.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- It may actually be a bit higher than 12V output, given that for every AC volt into the rectifier, you will normally get 1.414 DC volts after rectification and filtering. Regardless, the regulation circuits in the gaming console should be able to handle the extra voltage quite easily.

Reply to
Brenda Ann

On 12/4/2010 7:05 PM Michael Kennedy spake thus:

OK.

Well, that's a power supply. Bare, nekkid, unregulated, but a power supply nonetheless.

Your guess is probably right.

I'm most intrigued, though, by that "100 V" rating. Is that written on the outside? Because that's a nonstandard voltage, at least for the parts of the world I'm familiar with. Where are you? What's the line voltage where you live?

Maybe it's just a "nominal" rating, like the 90-140 V or so that some power supplies will handle. In any case, the advice that others have given here, basically "don't sweat it, the device's regulation will take care of things" is good.

--
[...]

100V is a standard voltage in Japan. What's really interesting about Japan is that they not only use 100/220V power, but also 50 AND 60 Hz line frequencies.
Reply to
Brenda Ann

On 12/4/2010 8:56 PM Brenda Ann spake thus:

Butbutbut ... shouldn't that be 100/200 V? Usually the higher voltage is double the lower one (two equal legs of the lower voltage). Here in North American it's actually 120 & 240, at least nominally.

--
How To Access Wikileaks

These sites are still up as of 12/3/10:

    http://wikileaks.de
    http://wikileaks.fi
    http://wikileaks.nl
    http://wikileaks.eu
    http://wikileaks.pl

And these IP addresses can be used:

    http://213.251.145.96/
    http://88.80.13.160/
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Sorry I tuned in late, 100V is the standard line voltage in Japan.

I can't say what will happen to the device but it is an unregulated supply it will put out 12 volts instead of 10, and get hot.

If that will damage the supply, or the device is hard to guess.

What I suggest to people who move here (Israel) from the US is to take the supply to a good electronics store and they will sell you a replacememnt that has the correct voltage, current supply and connector.

If that is not possible, and you can't get a local electronics person to fit a proper supply (for example if the connector is unusual), then you may want to go to a transformer manufacturer and make up a 120->100 volt transformer. My guess is that a small one will cost $50-$75.

Here they are stock items (230-100) because due to the different power factor (50Hz vs 60Hz line frequencyt) large motorized 120 volt appliances last longer on 100v than 120.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to misquote it.

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" ..

** Read the whole thread - imbecile.

Because Japan uses 50 Hz, the tranny will not run any hotter at 120 volts at 60 Hz.

** Guessing is always easy - imbecile.
** Japan uses the same AC sockets as the USA.

There is simply no issue.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Looks like things didn't go the way you wanted them huh?

...heh

Meat Plow

You are correct! In Tokyo and East Japan it is 100V 50Hz. In Osaka and West Japan it is 100V 60Hz. Some appliances wont work in both reigions, but those are mostly older. Things using mechanical timers (a bit rare these days in Japan everything is digital now) always have a 50/60Hz switch.

Reply to
Michael Kennedy