X servers on CF

Is it possible to have X running on a 32 MB flash memory. It is a x86
architecture meant for video applications with a i810 board. I would
not be needing anything other the basic X and pwlib applications. No
authentication or any desktop environments (obviously). I have a lot
of self doubt before embarking. Can I go ahead and buy the flash for
32 MB?
thanks a zillion,
Ravi

Re: X servers on CF

On a Sharp Zaurus (an ARM CPU), the GPE version of OpenZaurus runs a
usable X environment from a 22M root partition on flash, executing in
32MB of RAM.  The X server's resident set is about 1.5MB. Check out:
    http://openzaurus.org /
    http://gpe.handhelds.org/
    http://openembedded.org /

--
Eric C. Cooper          e c c @ c m u . e d u

Re: X servers on CF

How about KDRIVE/Xvesa? The server itself is less than 900K. You won't get
3D acceleration or superfast overlays blitting. The good thing about
KDRIVE is that it doesn't dump out a log file (sure way to shorten
your flash longevity)

Re: X servers on CF
thank you. I am using the Kdrive. Wanted to know anybody previously attempted.

Re: X servers on CF

I really think it depends on the main application you will be running on
your target. KDRIVE misses all the fancy extensions of a full blown X server.
No overlays, no gamma are the things I noticed. If you plan to run
an MPEG player then KDRIVE is not for you. But if all you want is a
couple of xterms to work with, then KDRIVE will do. Forget about running
Quake3 on KDRIVE :)

Site Timeline