What is the feasibility of using an IDE controller as a fast 16-bit parallel port?

I would like to implement a fast 16-bit parallel port on an x86 system
for
interface to an analog-to-digital converter.   From a software
standpoint I am wondering about the feasibility.  The ADC provides TTL
signals that are compatible with the IDE electrical specs (16 data and
one data-valid clock).  I can set the clock to meet any of the IDE PIO
mode specs (modes 0-4).  So it appears the the electrical interface is
easy.  How difficult would it be to read the 16-bit data directly from
the IDE controller.  Assume we are dedicating the secondary IDE bus to
this task.  I'm thinking along the lines of a simple "PIO like"
implementation.  The system would be dedicated to the data acquisition
so
inefficient use of the CPU such as polling is acceptable.

Thanks,
Jim

Site Timeline