WLAN transceiver module for motes?

Hello Folks,

What is your favorite low cost 2.4GHz transceiver that could connect motes such as thermometer or pressure sensors to laptops?

Ideally it would:

a. be small and under $30/1k.

b. work through a laptop's WLAN card.

c. be able to do a power-saving "ping" mode so the whole mote could be turned on from the laptop.

d. be FCC pre-certified, license-free.

e. yield a minimum range of 200ft through a car body.

f. do slow duplex data transfer. 9600db would be fine.

g. be able to steer itself to an unoccupied sub-band so it can be found by a PC even if there is a strong WLAN router in the area.

A USB version would be ok but something sticking out the back of a laptop is prone to break off. Bluetooth doesn't cut it because of limited range and all this regular 2.4GHz stuff needs a custom transceiver mounted to the laptop. Other bands are not so favorable because many of them are limited to the US or you'd need several versions to adjust to other countries' bands.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

XBee/XBeePro

Zigbee/802.15.4

Wi-fi modules have high high power consumption. I would be interested to hear about low-power WiFi RF module. Low power means c. be able to do a power-saving "ping" mode so the whole mote could be

Some modules could cycle through power-down/power-up mode.

Zigbee/802.15.4, for the US check manufacturer data sheet for the modular approval.

High power Zigbee should be able to do it. Still as for any RF communications it highly depends from antenna type and location.

I tried Maxstream kit for XBeePro and got ~700m line-of-sight range.

Zigbee/802.15.4.

h. Could bring your a perfectly cold beer anytime...

To begin with, take a look to Cirronet, Maxstream, and Aerocomm Zigbee and 802.15.4 OEM RF modules.

There are plenty other Zigbee/802.15.4 modules around.

--
WBR, Yuriy.
"Resistance is futile"

Sounds a bit Masonic to me.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

Reply to
karunamenon

Hello Yuriy,

It could operate in bursts, provided it can be woken and sent to sleep from the laptop.

Built-in WLAN ports seem to be doing ok in power consumption because I see more and more people using little handhelds at airports and cafes, mostly to access their email accounts (meaning low net data volumes). Many of them do that via the WLAN that is provided there and not their cell phone accounts because the latter can get expensive.

Yes! Plus a couple of margaritas on hot days, heavy on the tequila and topped off with a dash of Grand Marnier.

I did check Maxstream and Aerocomm but only found "to the other device" as terms for the laptop side of things. Have to dig deeper and I will call them. I know RF quite well but not this Zigbee stuff yet, so I am wondering whether a WLAN card or port of a laptop could communicate with these modules.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hello Genome,

But I am not a Free-Mason :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hello Karuna,

Well, we don't want to communicate to a WLAN but just use the 2.45GHz WLAN protocol to pipe data from sensor to a laptop. Mostly to avoid the need for a USB RF-transceiver, something that easily breaks. I'll email you when I get back but a full-custom solution could become too expensive here. Then again, maybe it is feasible if you have a product that fits or is really close.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hello Folks,

Meantime I am a bit closer to the goal here. In case anyone else is going to be in the same boat some day this is really close to what's needed to talk directly through a WLAN port:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hi Joerg, If that is what you wanted, also take a look at:

They have the same type of thing, very robust and design for industrial applications. If you give their support folks a call, tell Joe that Charlie sent you... 8-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Edmondson

Hello Charlie,

Thanks, I certainly will. And if Joe answers I'll let him know ;-)

They call their products "Airborne", same as the Quatech folks do. Even the part numbers are the same. Strange.

Anyway, the downside here is that while the products with CF card interfaces are cheap ($30-$40) the minute you want RS232 on there it jumps to around $100 even though it looks like the innards are nearly the same. That is beyond budget for this case.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Of course not. Neither are the rest of us ;-)

DNA

Reply to
Genome

Both of my grandfathers were... "33rd Degree", though I have not much clue what that means.

...Jim Thompson

Hello Jim,

I believe that's the highest degree bestowed on members and one has to go to Washington, D.C., for a lengthy initiation ceremony into that degree. And make a substantial donation, of course.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Double check with them. I know that there are a variety of serial ports available, including SPI and I2C, as well as asynch. It might just be the higher cost of the asynch overhead, but doesn't make much sense to me.

BTW, Joe is the support guru, not in sales, but does know where the bodies are buried... 8-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Edmondson

Then try Zigbee/802.15.4, is the cheapest solution compared with any other WLAN option. There are single chip microcontrollers with internal transcievers on zigbee.

Vasile

Reply to
vasile

The CF card ones expect drivers and a TCP/IP stack on the host.

The ones with serial port have an integrated host processor with copious amounts of memory, etc. which runs the drivers, the TCP/IP stack and some small application which bridges between TCP/IP and the serial port. Quite often with a proprietary protocol.

Typically, that device is a ARM-based SBC with uCLinux on it and one of the CF-card WLAN devices attached.

Kind regards,

Iwo

Reply to
Iwo Mergler

Hello Iwo,

Thanks, Iwo. Just got off the phone with one company (Digi) and they basically said the same thing. We would not need all that luxury in a RS232 equipped transceiver but that's pretty much the only versions out there. The other concern is product longevity which may be just a few years on CF versions and then you have to re-write. That would not be so cool.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hello Vasile,

I did look at that but AFAICT it will not be able to communicate via the WLAN port built into laptops. You'd need another Zigbee module at the computer and that isn't too practical here.