Turning off terminal esca[pe sequences ?

TERM=dumb In your .profile/...

Reply to
Ian Stirling

How do I tell Linux that my terminal will not accept escape sequences ?

I'm logging in via /dev/ttyS0, and it seems to think my terminal can handle colors etc. How can I tell it it can't ?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
John

I knew it had to be a simple thing.

Many thanks.

Reply to
John

Better yet, configure getty to properly set the terminal type. Otherwise you'll get TERM=dumb on virtual consoles as well.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Do you have exactly
                                  at               what I want in a plaid

I spoke too soon. That makes no difference what so ever.

Looking at the source it looks like it's down to the function isatty() which appears to simply look at the file attributes in /dev.

Reply to
John

How about setting the LANGUAGE variable ? When I telnet to a RH9 box, some of the characters display incorrectly. If I use a export LANGUAGE=C, then the characters display correctly. I do not know where one can find the list of values one can use for the LANGUAGE variable.

Hope this helps

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

What do you mean? Most software will respect the TERM variable. Is it set properly? What does echo $TERM show?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Right, I was talking about what 99.9% of all linux does. I suspect busybox is a little different.

The TERM enviroment variable alters nothing in itself. It's up to programs to look at the value, and output the appropriate control codes, when they want to use something. The termcap library is what performs this lookup. It's quite possible that busybox, or whatever the program your using, in order to save space does not support this, and hardcodes a given setting at compile time.

You may need to recompile this.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

After a boot, echo $TERM returns the string 'linux'

I can set it to 'dumb' or an empty string, or even delete the environment variable and it seems to make no difference at all.

This is running kernel 2.4.16 and Busybox 0.60.5

Reply to
John