repurposing cheap dvr boxes

Those nice boxes have multiple video inputs, serial/RS485/parallel i/o for alarms, camera motion etc, one or more audio i/o, HDMI output, one or more SATA ports, etc and some cost down to less than $50 including case, power supply, cables, mouse and remote. And all of them run Linux. The logical question is: did anyone manage to flash some embedded distro on one of these boxes to extend their capabilities or use them for different purposes? 4 or more channels video sampling means they use some pretty fast ADCs in there.

Here's one.

Having placed a few of them I can confirm, regardless of their brand/model, many use the same firmware save for a few changes.

Reply to
asdf

Depends which SoC CPU is inside it.

If its Allwinner CPUs, there are plenty of Linux available and sources.

Other SoCs also have a lively community around them. Just have to search to locate them.

Many of the existing firmware violates GPL license through which the Linux was gifted to them. So look out for ones that comply to get to sources.

Drop a line here so we can follow your success.

Reply to
7