register to an ISR

Hi, In the regular RTOS, while writing the device drivers the normal practice is to associate the device with some interrupt vector and register a handler to that vector number.

But in the case of Linux, a device can be accessed only through ioctl() call. How do we register a callback for a particular device?

Is there a possibility to register a callback for both user space and kernel space drivers?

Tks Uday

Reply to
Uday Mullangi

I strongly recommend you to take a look at Rubini's book (Linux Device Driver - O'Reilly)

Bye, Stefano.

Reply to
Stefano Coluccini

You need to write a device driver to do a (hardware) interrupt (in Kernel address space). same communicates with the user land application with file I/O system calls

In user land the "switch()" function provides a kind of "interrupt" based on driver activity.

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell