Re: irq handling- kernel vs. user code

I would suggest that you implement a socket family to produce

> this mechanism.

When I needed this kind of functionality (transferring hardware events to user space) I simply made a kernel driver for a /dev/pulse character special device (Major device 10, minor device selected from 240-255 "Reserved for local use"). It wasn't hard to grab code from the Rubini book and drivers/char/nwbutton.c and make something that works. Sounds simpler than inventing a whole new socket family.

- Larry

Reply to
Larry Doolittle

I've used the character driver method as well, and it is actually a bit simpler to implement. I chose to use the socket interface primarily becuase I typically write device drivers for various networking devices (switch fabrics, nP's, etc.) and on interrupt I receive control data as a packet. The socket family in my case was the more intuative design. Sorry, probably should have thought of that before I posted. Neil

Reply to
Neil Horman