Re: maybe a little OT: CF-Card not available in XP

I think, my system is too big for a loop-system (because X is that big).

I don't think there's a limit on the size of a loop system. I run X (ok, TinyX) in mine with a 20 meg image on a 32 meg flash. The loop just is a blank file -- and then the inside gets formatted as, say, ext2. Then you mount the main system image as RO to prevent accidental writes.

Then you use a smaller image as a ramdisk with some startup files in it. SYSLINUX or LOADLIN loads Linux from the ramdisk, which then does the root pivot thing and loads up the image.

But that brings me to another idea: How is it with UMSDOS? Normally the >linux-files are startet only once, then the application, after this >nothing has to be started. Only the logfiles will be written. Anyone >experienced with this?

I tried UMSDOS. It didn't work very well.

1) The filenames in DOS are still 8.3 2) It seemed to lose files

It just sucked overall.

--
Alex Pavloff - remove BLAH to email
Software Engineer, Eason Technology

Am Thu, 26 Jun 2003 17:06:52 GMT schrieb Alex Pavloff :

There is not really a limit by concept, but my customer is setting my limits. I have a 128MB-CF-card, 75-80 MB are used by linux, 15 MB by the application with all the graphics, other 15-20 MB has to be spared for logs. So i get no room anymore.

[...UMSDOS]

OK, this idea is dead ;)

regards, Jens

--
Die obige Adresse ist OK, wird aber nicht gelesen.
Für Mails an mich bitte das Wort "usenet" gegen

Of course !

Thanks, Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell