no name resolution in busybox system

I created an embedded (CF card based) system using a glibc linked version
of busybox.  I do have a /etc/nsswitch.conf file but I cannot get any
name resolution for the entries in /etc/hosts.

Some of my custom programs do gethostbyname() calls and they also fail so the
problem is not busybox specific.

Any clues?

Re: no name resolution in busybox system

and what is in your /etc/nsswitch.conf file?

Re: no name resolution in busybox system

That's not the issue...trust me...

Problem was, that modern glibc breaks up services into several different
libraries.  It is enough of an unforgivable sin to not be able to create
a static binary that uses naming services unless you dynamically link glibc,
but to then have to include additional support libraries besides libc.so...
well, this is what happens when you have a large group of undisciplined
programmers working on something and no draconian authority to force things
in a specific direction.

But I'm getting close to my other rant about how modern linux is becoming
less and less suited for embedded applications...so I'll shut up for now.

-regards

Re: no name resolution in busybox system

Ah that would bite me too. I'd not caught up with that, still using 2.4
era distributions for most of my current dev efforts. Quick logon to a
very recent linux box, and indeed man resolver has the "Link with
-lresolv." advice. wonder why the glibc guys split it out?

Site Timeline