Linux Kernel for SiS 55x SoC based system

I have a set up a linux system with make-from-scratch for a little
"semi-embedded" System. Builds and runs fine.

Unfortunately the requirements have shifted under me and the vendor
has changed Chips without notice. Now we have about 90 of the boxes
that my kernel does not boot on.

The symptom is that it stops right away. Typed from off the screen
as I don't know any other way of getting the stuff out of a dead
system:

 > invalid opcode: 0000 [#1] SMP
 > modules linked in:
 >
 > Pid: 0, comm: swapper Not tainted
 > EIP: 0060: [<c02b6b0a>] EFLAGS: 00000246 CPU: 0
 > EIP is at identify_cpu+0x193/0x2bf
2E%.. more register dumps
 > Call Trace:
 >  [<c0380510>] identify_boot_cpu+0xa/0x14
 >  [<c03805a1>] check_bugs+0xa/0xce
 >  [<c037984d>] start_kernel+0x2d1/0x2e3
2E%.. more dumped data
 > Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill the idle task!

Am I right to assume that the kernel cannot identify my CPU?

Well. Neither could I :-). The vendor finally sent me the output of
cat /proc/cpuinfo so they seem to have a linux built for the new
chip but are playing hard to get in giving more information like
what kernel and the config used to build it.

 > processor       : 0
 > vendor_id       : SiS SiS SiS
 > cpu family      : 5
 > model           : 0
 > model name      : ff/00
 > stepping        : 5
 > cpu MHz         : 200.008
 > fdiv_bug        : no
 > hlt_bug         : no
 > f00f_bug        : no
 > coma_bug        : no
 > fpu             : yes
 > fpu_exception   : yes
 > cpuid level     : 1
 > wp              : yes
 > flags           : fpu tsc cx8 mmx
 > bogomips        : 398.95

I gather that is a SiS 55x System-on-a-chip.

My kernel is built 2.6.25.4 sources. Architecture is x86/generic, no
specific optimizations selected.

Can someone explain to me what exactly is wrong here? Maybe give hints
on how to configure the kernel to make it compatible with this new
machine?

Ciao, MM
--20%
Marian AldenhF6%vel, Rosenhain 23, 53123 Bonn
http://www.marian-aldenhoevel.de
"I ran some quick calculations on it. He's about 80% on the right
  track.  That leaves him only 20% dead when he crashes." Bob C

--20%
Marian AldenhF6%vel, Rosenhain 23, 53123 Bonn
http://www.marian-aldenhoevel.de
"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you
  do something and the time you tell a woman what you did."

Re: Linux Kernel for SiS 55x SoC based system

Seems this kernel was built for a "higher" CPU. Something like i686 and now
this kernel should run on i586. Take a look into the Kconfig menu, what CPU
type is selected in your kernel.

Hope it helps.
JB

Re: Linux Kernel for SiS 55x SoC based system

I built it for 386 and no special optimizations.

Ciao, MM
--20%
Marian AldenhF6%vel, Rosenhain 23, 53123 Bonn
http://www.marian-aldenhoevel.de
"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you
  do something and the time you tell a woman what you did."

Re: Linux Kernel for SiS 55x SoC based system

What does your .config file look like ?

Re: Linux Kernel for SiS 55x SoC based system

I have uploaded it to:

http://www.marian-aldenhoevel.de/tmp/kconfig_2.6.25.4-dist

Ciao, MM
--20%
Marian AldenhF6%vel, Rosenhain 23, 53123 Bonn
http://www.marian-aldenhoevel.de
"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you
  do something and the time you tell a woman what you did."

Re: Linux Kernel for SiS 55x SoC based system

Seems all right. Try to ask this question on LKML.

Juergen

Site Timeline