networking with an embedded computer (fwd)

Sorry, I am cross posting this from alt.comp.linux because I haven't been getting a response. Maybe you guys are a better crowd to ask.

Thanks, Dan

---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 16:39:34 -0400 (EDT) Newsgroups: alt.comp.linux Subject: networking with an embedded computer

I have a control setup that someone else set up to run. I have Redhat on the host computer and Timesys on the embedded. The Timesys is using the Redhat for its hard drive. There is a serial and ethernet connection between the two, but I think that only the ethernet is used in the current set up. I need to transmit a large amount of data from the embedded on idle times so I need the ethernet connection. I need to get data from my host (Redhat) computer, but only have a floppy functional at this time.

I searched on google and came up with useless links. (maybe because I don't know the lingo)

I don't want my embedded computer to worry about other traffic or maintaining a firewall or interacting with the outside world other then the host. BUT I would like to set up my host to use the network. They currently communicate through a dedicated hub. Is there a recommended setup that I should use? Where might I find more info on this setup?

final note on this issue is that I have a CD burner that isn't set up right now. Would I have a drastically easier time setting this up? (this would be less prefered and I hope to make this work when I get up to speed on Linux)

Same system different problem: How do I list availible addresses on the embedded computer? This is in respect to installing a new PC104 card.

Thanks

-Dan

Reply to
Dan Helmick

Your best bet if I understand the setup properly is to put another network card into the Host PC - attach this to your live network. Setup the default route to point to this network/the external router on it. Setup a static route for the IP address/range for the embedded device on the original network card. This way the Host can talk to the outside world and the embedded system, but the embedded system can only talk to the Host, and the outside world can't talk to the embedded system.

Blane.

Reply to
Blane Bramble

I am currently using this exact setup, with the exception that I have the host system disconnected from the lan for now. If you are using the standard timesys setup where you mount an rfs that sits on the host, then anything the host copies to the rfs will be shared with the target thru nfs. The same is true in the opposite direction.

The two card multi-homed solution sounds like the way to isolate remote files on the target, but I don't know how this will protect nfs shared files on the host if that is what you're after.

Reply to
tns1