Netbooting with RPL

Hello,

I got my hands on an old x86 style terminal (Etherminal does it write at boot time). This machine has an AMD PCnet 10/100 mbps network connection and is able to boot through it. But I don't know how to do, as it can't boot over PXE and I can't install a floppy drive.

How do I set up a server for netbooting? I can use Windows and Linux for it, but I want to boot a linux kernel.

There is the log the computer produces when trying to netboot.

Regards, Sebastian

Novell Netware Ready Firmware v1.00 (940810) (C) Copyright 1991 - 1994 Novell, Inc. All Rights Reserved. AMD PCNTNW Ethernet MLID v3.00 (950630) (C) Copyright 1991 - 1995 AMD, Inc. all Rights Reserved

To boot from Novell Server press 1 To boot from IBM LAN Server 2.x/3.x press 2 To boot from IBM LAN Server 4.x press 3 To boot from Microsoft Lan Manager Server press 4 To boot from first availible Server press 5 If no selection within 10 seconds, will use choice 5. Please, make your choice now.

RPL-ROM-ADR 00E0 C5FC 47CA RPL-ROM-IRQ 10 RPL-ROM-PIO 6000

RPL-ROM-FFC 1 (counting up)

Reply to
Sebastian

Hi,

your should sniff the ethernet line at bootup and see what protocol it speaks.

Reply to
Kevin Read

Try these. The original netware ROMS booted a floppy disk image via ethernet - the later ones uses IPX.

These might boot it ... maybe ..

Unknown

Hello,

I got a solution for my problem, although it isn't easy; flashing the BIOS didn't work at all (no version executed the Option ROM, but instead disabled Novell's one - even if I only removed the full-screen logo).

Novell's rom tries to boot via RPL, so I had to put up a rpld. It doesn't work to boot any linux kernel (neither bzImage nor zImage), but I can serve an etherboot rom in zrom format. My /etc/rpld.conf looks like this:

HOST { ethernet = 00:ma:ca:dd:re:ss; (the real mac goes here, of course) FILE { path = "/root/pcnet32.zrom"; load = 0x1000; }; execute = 0x1006; };

Etherboot grabs an ip off the dhcp server and then loads pxelinux.0 using tftp. Then, a memdisk (as kernel) and a dos boot floppy (as initrd) is loaded and executed. So I can repair (or at least boot) the system, when it won't do it alone. Because etherboot is flexible, there are many possibilities, including a diskless boot. Maybe this helps people in similar situations.

Regards, Sebastian

Reply to
Sebastian