Need Some UNIX Learning Resources

Hi Guys,

I am currently a web developer; however, I want to learn UNIX system
and Solaris. I also want to be a UNIX system admin. If you have any
learning materials or books, please share. I would highly appreciate
that.

Also, do you know any website that allow me to take an online practice
UNIX tests, system admin tests?

Thanks,

Re: Need Some UNIX Learning Resources
On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 18:44:27 -0800, Nick Carter rearranged some electrons
to say:

I don't think you're going to learn to be a Unix sysadmin by reading some
message posts on Usenet.  Go to a bookstore and look in the computer
section, there's any number of books about Unix.

Re: Need Some UNIX Learning Resources

Just install any Linux on your PC and start learning. It is much easier
than you think.

But better don't start with *embedded* Linux, which is OnT here.

Falk

Re: Need Some UNIX Learning Resources

With a "Live Linux" CD/DVD/USB-drive,
there's no need to even INSTALL it,
just run directly from the medium without any install.
Totally risk-free, no disk space required.

Once satisfied, you may want to install it to a hard drive pratition
for more features such as saving your work, a swap file to run more processes,
etc.

Re: Need Some UNIX Learning Resources

There is a certification program for Linux admins managed by Linux
Professional Institute.
I won't pay for their certification, but I have found the resources
needed for exam preparation useful.
Have a look on their site.

Re: Need Some UNIX Learning Resources

That's a wonderful idea!

I'm still soured by my experience trying for the Red Hat Certified Engineer exam.
I didn't have the $2,000 for the 4 day crash course, so I bought a study guide
book
that did NOT cover all the material required :-(
Still, I learned a lot that that's useful.
So I concur: study for the exam but don't waste your money for a certificate
that only expires anyway.

Do what the college students here do:
buy some coffee and read all the books for free
at the local Buns & Noodles :-)

Site Timeline