Help: Tips for building a video capture device?

Dear subscribers

I'm trying to help a customer to build a station for documentation using
video recording. My customer's business involves inspecting buildings using
fibre optics. For this purpose he as constructed a suitcase like station
using a DVD-HD recorder found in most retail stores, a flat TV screen etc.
However, this station is very heavy and clumsy so I figure that I try and
help him to create something more suitable.

My idea is to use one of these ITX-motherboards to build a video capture
computer with a simple touch screen interface but I haven't managed to find
a motherboard that supports video-in as well as it's able to run Linux. If
it's possible I would try to avoid expansion video capture cards since I
want to keep the package as small and as cheap as possible, since if this
idea works it will be manufactured in a substantial number of units. So if
anyone know of a motherboard that meet these requirements, please give me a
hint.

This construction is a first draft idea so if any of you hackers out there
have some alternative idea how this can be done I'll be glad to hear.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards, Ola Theander

Re: Help: Tips for building a video capture device?

I've done something similar with Linux, ITX but with a video grabber card.
There seem to be some LEX boards that might do what you want here:
 http://linitx.com/product_info.php?cPath12%_51&products_id36%4

Ian

Re: Help: Tips for building a video capture device?

maybe a 1u, over the board, riser card?

--
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2 /

Re: Help: Tips for building a video capture device?
Hi Ian

Thank you for your answer. The Lex boards seems to be what I need. Do you
remember which software you used for your project, i.e. which Linux distro
and videograbber software?

Kind regards, Ola Theander

Re: Help: Tips for building a video capture device?

If i should do it. I would take a video grabber card that can make mpg
output. Then you can select a smaller cpu, because the cpu dont make
anything else than control the display and touch. Because of the smaller
cpu, you get a longer batteri time. When the output from the grabber is
mpg, then you can use all the normal program to show it and make edit ind
the output.

--
/ Peter Andersen
/ Skanderborg

Get a Composite Video input PCCARD and connect to just about any laptop?
http://www.anubisline.com/english/articlec.asp?id50%500&catid00%2 is an
example
but this is probably Windows only....

If your volume really IS substantial, then there are better solutions.

--
Best Regards
Ulf at atmel dot com