Help! Comparison of Embedded vs Regular Linux

Hi,

I am working on an Embedded Linux Project. And i wanted to clear a few a doubts regarding the differences between Embedded linux vs regular linux.

-> From what i understand, there is no difference in the two as they are based on the same kernel regular linux = enhanced version with extra features to increase usability etc. embedded linux = tailor made for the device. highly optimised.

-> Optimisation techniques are related to memory management - swapless, without memory management unit process management - reduce latency, preemptive scheduling. filesystem related (could you list a few more techniques of optimisation?)

Is my understanding of embedded linux generally right? Please respond, as i am quite lost, and its urgent i have to make a presentation for my prof.

Thanks

Regards Sameer

Reply to
Sameer Segal