Has anyone ported the arm-linux toolchain to the Intel Max OSX?

While I can, and am, running Ubuntu in Parallels on my Intel Mac OSX
to do my arm development, I would prefer to use the native BSD.  Has
anyone done this.  Any tips, caveats, pitfalls?

Thanks.

Re: Has anyone ported the arm-linux toolchain to the Intel Max OSX?

Doesn't gcc already compile under OSX/BSD?

Why would it need to be ported?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Yow! I want my nose
                                  at               in lights!

Sometimes, but it appears that nobody has a repeatable and working
recipe for crosscompilers. Crosstools don't work for all versions and
have a lot of dependencies that are even difficult to solve with
MacPorts/DarwinPorts.

On the other hand, I still use my PowerPC hosted cross-gcc 2.95.3 with
Objective-C extension that I happened to create some longer time ago
on MacOS X 10.2 or 10.3.

It runs pretty well in Rosetta emulation on Intel Macs with 10.4.

Nikolaus

Re: Has anyone ported the arm-linux toolchain to the Intel Max OSX?

I want just add that I have recompiled gcc to run natively on Intel
Macs.
As expected it is much faster:

-- hns

Re: Has anyone ported the arm-linux toolchain to the Intel Max OSX?

|> Doesn't gcc already compile under OSX/BSD?
|
| Sometimes, but it appears that nobody has a repeatable and working
| recipe for crosscompilers. Crosstools don't work for all versions and
| have a lot of dependencies that are even difficult to solve with
| MacPorts/DarwinPorts.

Cross compiling is a very messy thing.  Most source packages are not
aware of cross compiling and that forms a big obstacle.  Various
parameters need to be acquired to make many packages work, and they
do not all come from the same places.  Programs run in the configure
script to determine parameters of the platform would yield them about
the host, not the target, for example.  Likewise some programs run
in the Makefile might have similar issues.

Here is a project that is working to get around these issues by making
"cross" compiling really be native, doing only a minimal amount of
actual cross compiling for the kernel and toolchains and a few other
things that can do it reasonably well.  Then the rest is done in a
native way under emulation to build up a full Linux system.

http://landley.net/code/firmware/about.html

Doing this across kernel classes (e.g. between Linux and BSD) makes
for even more complexity.

| Phil Howard KA9WGN (ka9wgn.ham.org)  /  Do not send to the address below |
Re: Has anyone ported the arm-linux toolchain to the Intel Max OSX?
I built it and run it (on rare occasion) fine.
You should be able to use these instructions with minor (if any) trivial changes:

http://ftp.snapgear.org/pub/snapgear/tools/arm-linux/build-arm-linux-3.4.4

regards,

Re: Has anyone ported the arm-linux toolchain to the Intel Max OSX?

There is a version of the gumstix buildroot that can be build for Intel OSX
with a bit of extra work.  www.gumstix.org  docs -> buildroot
Been a while since I tried.

http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/CompileCrossToolOnOSX

Site Timeline