Access UART from kernel module without writing new low level driver for UART ?

Hello,

i want to access serial port (PC, other Linux based hardware) from a kernel
module, but without writing a new low level driver. Is this possible ?

Background: We have a device which is connected to the serial port. We can
access this device without problems from user space programmes via
/dev/ttySx. But now, we want to move the control software into a kernel
module. I don't think we can still use open, read, write to /dev/ttySx
anymore.

Regards,

          Martin

Re: Access UART from kernel module without writing new low level driver for UART ?

I suppose you are right, as the Kernel Module performs a user/space
Kernel/space transitions for any data transferred via the read / write
interface. If it would be possible to use this interface from Kernel
space data would need to be retransferred from/to Kernel space.

I suppose your best bet is to use the serial port driver source code to
  create your own driver.

-Michael

Site Timeline