Flashing a WRT54G router (with v7.00.1 firmware) with a linux firmware? - Page 2

Re: Flashing a WRT54G router (with v7.00.1 firmware) with a linux firmware?

That is indeed great.

except the linux firewall box can do all sorts of other things, it
does not have to be dedicated.

Re: Flashing a WRT54G router (with v7.00.1 firmware) with a linux firmware?

It does have to be on all the time, which can be annoying when
you need to rebuild/upgrade that machine and the others can't
get to the 'net until that job is done.

There are also people who are too paranoid to have a "general
purpose" Lintel box connected to the internet.  The thought
being that a dedicated, single-purpose box (running a non-IA32
architecture) will be much harder to exploit than an IA32 box
with a lot of huge, complex applications and services running
on it.  I'm not sure there's a lot to that argument.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I left my WALLET in
                                  at               the BATHROOM!!

There is plenty of truth to that argument - there is little doubt that
an x86 machine has more attack vectors than a MIPS machine running
exactly the same software, since the former is subject to buffer
overflow and code injection attacks that the later is not (that's not to
say you couldn't make such attacks on MIPS, merely that available
toolkits and software all aim at attacking x86 machines due to their
popularity).

Of course, a well-configured x86 box will be a perfectly reliable
firewall for all practical purposes.  And being familiar with the system
you are working on (for a complex system, anyway) is as important as any
inherent security benefits.

But what *does* make a big difference is keeping your firewall box
simple in regard to software - you don't run unnecessary services, and
you use the simplest possible alternatives for the services you need
(assuming they are good enough, of course).  Thus you don't run apache
on your firewall - making you therefore immune to any security flaws in
apache, and you don't want to use X for configuring your firewall.  You
don't even want that sort of thing installed in the first place.

If you want to make a single consolidated server and firewall server,
the best way is to have the server stuff running as virtual machines so
that you have *almost* as good security as if they were physically
separated.

Re: Flashing a WRT54G router (with v7.00.1 firmware) with a linux firmware?
On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 19:46:53 -0500 in comp.os.linux.networking,

But it does have to be ON.  :-)

I just picked up a Linusys WRT54G v8.0 (yeah, I know I should've gotten
the GL instead) WAP/router/firewall mainly to free up my old Linux f/w
box, and I think it's nice to be able to multiboot again w/o canning my
internet connection...

--
 -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner ---> Mableton, GA USA
Re: Flashing a WRT54G router (with v7.00.1 firmware) with a linux firmware?

I do not have a habit of turning computers off (except for my linux
laptop).

Without a doubt.

How can I tell if my WRT54G supports embedded Linux? Maybe I should
take it off eBay.

Re: Flashing a WRT54G router (with v7.00.1 firmware) with a linux firmware?

To some extent, they all do, but the V5 and later models have half the RAM and
half the flash memory
of earlier models. The V5 thru V8 models come from the factory running VxWorks.
The others already
run Linux, which is how the alternate firmware sources got started. Due the GPL,
Linksys had to make
their kernel sources available. Only the driver for the Broadcom wireless chip
could be distributed
in binary-only form. That driver file has been an important resource in the
reverse engineering of
the BCM43xx chips, which has led to the bcm43xx opn-source driver for Linux.

If your WRT54G doesn't have a version listed on the name plate, then it is
likely a V1, which will
run 3rd party Linux firmware.

Larry

Re: Flashing a WRT54G router (with v7.00.1 firmware) with a linux firmware?

Even V5 and above can be flashed with a 3rd party Linux firmware.  As I
stated in a previous post to this very thread, http://www.dd-wrt.com
provides information on flashing v5 and above WRT54G routers.  I
successfully flashed my v5.  It involves more than flashing 1 file but it's
hardly difficult.

Re: Flashing a WRT54G router (with v7.00.1 firmware) with a linux firmware?

Mine is V2 and is flashable. Could anyone explain in a couple of
sentences just what is involved in flashing one. Thanks

Re: Flashing a WRT54G router (with v7.00.1 firmware) with a linux firmware?

They're all flashable.  It's basically the same process you'd go through to
upgrade to a new Linksys firmware version. With WRT54G v5 and above, the
process is a little more involved as you have to flash a couple of extra
files first.

Re: Flashing a WRT54G router (with v7.00.1 firmware) with a linux firmware?

Also VPN, wifi signal strength and segmentation to name other uses.

Re: Flashing a WRT54G router (with v7.00.1 firmware) with a linux firmware?
Go look at http://www.dd-wrt.com I recently flashed my v5 WRT54G and the
ddwrt firmware offers an amazing array of new features including QoS which
you're seeking.  Until I found this, I thought upgrading the firmware in my
v5 WRT54G router was not a possibility because it wasn't Linux based and
because of the limited RAM (8Meg) in the unit.  I needed to use the router
as a wireless bridge and could not do so with the stock Linksys firmware.
After flashing the proper firmware (mirco generic ddwrt), it's working fine
as a wireless bridge connecting my DirecTV HR20 and XBox to my home network.