Embedded newbie seeks help

I've just been hired by a company to do some programming, among other things...

I've got gobs of C experience, but no experience with embedded systems.

They've been using PLCs and special built controllers, but are running up against cost, power, and production run issues.

I've been trying to persuade them to use a portable hardware platform, something that runs linux and can be programmed using C, that way, if the hardware platform goes away, all we have to do is re-write some I/O functions and not the whole program.

To that end, I need some basic advice:

A book or web reference for embdedded programming in C and linux. I've found a few; it would be nice to have a solid background before I make the real pitch.

A suitable hardware platform:

Keypad input, 16 DIO, 1 or 2 A/D IO, two serial ports, LCD character display output. The cost in small quantities (

Reply to
Captain Dondo

gumstix.com? tern.com/acore.htm?

jim dorey