Compute flash life time

Hi all,

and sorry for the obvious question, but I'm trying to estimate my flash life, depending on write operation.

I'm using JFFS2: If I have 1 M flash, and write 128byte/s in a circular buffer style: I compute, with 100000 write cycles to have a 9000 day flash life (100000 * 1024*1024/128 seconds).

But in this way I suppose that each 128 blob of data I write, effectively write 128 bytes of flash: but I'm trying to understand:

- what is the filesystem overhead?

- when I write 128 bytes, the filesystem writes effectively 128 bytes, or writes an entire sector?

- to do my computation, is it correct the formula I used, or do I need to substitute the 128 value with the flash sector size?

Sorry if the questions are obvious, but I'm almost new to JFFS2

thanks giammy

Reply to
giangiammy

The file system writes a sector of 512 bytes, but the flash erase and write a cluster of 1024, 2048, 4096 or 8192 bytes. Cluster sizes are higher for bigger flash. For 1M, I believe it's 1024, or approx.

100 days.

Yes, see

linnix