Cheapest Embedded Solution?

What do you recommend as the cheapest embedded Linux solution?

I was just imagining a system that boots a 256 or 512MB USB flash
drive, creates a RAM disk using the onboard RAM, fires up a DHCP
client daemon for a netcard port, and then hosts a very slim, but
effective, web server and database server.

I was imagining a helpdesk that plugs this in on their network and
instantly up to 50 technicians (10 simultaneous) can use it. The
trouble tickets would be compressed before being stored, and an
external USB flash drive or 200GB USB drive could be used for backing
it up every night.

Site Timeline