C++ in embedded systems - Page 5

Re: C++ in embedded systems

I guess I wasn't clear in my response to this assertion.  So let me state
it explicitly.

    "No one cares!  Most people can still do OOP in C++ just fine."

--jc
--
Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)       snipped-for-privacy@flex.com     snipped-for-privacy@uhm.ampr.org

Re: C++ in embedded systems

Well, your first statement is obviously false.  As to the second, I
defer to one wiser than myself, who once wrote: "It is clearly
possible to write good code in C++.  It's just that no one does."

Regards,

                               -=Dave
--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.

Re: C++ in embedded systems

I guess I should have chosen better words.

Yes, I totally agree.  Considering this sub-thread is based on misconceptions
of C++, this observation would be implied...

--jc
--
Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)       snipped-for-privacy@flex.com     snipped-for-privacy@uhm.ampr.org

Re: C++ in embedded systems

To know that "no one does" needs omniscience, not mere wisdom. So your
source was not a particularly wise person, then! In fact, I've seen quite a
lot of "good" C++ code, though there's a lot more bad code about - in all
languages. C++ is certainly not foolproof; the answer is not to put it in
the hands of fools (or, at least not to accept the output of such people as
viable code).

Peter.

Re: C++ in embedded systems

snip of some very well written stuff about C++ misconceptions

Forgive me but IIRC the original poster I believe posed that very
question, not in those words exactly, I think he said is OOD the best
approach for embedded systems.

Ian

Re: C++ in embedded systems

Well, I'll admit that there was mention of OOD.  But the last few sentences
of that post asked for comments on using C++ in embedded systems.

In any case, even if the original author wanted comments about procedural
vs. OO, that wasn't my intent in my response.  I only wanted to clear up
the misconceptions.  I'm not really interested in the procedural vs. OO
debate.  Both are good, both have their place.  It's not whether we should
or shouldn't, but when.  And that's all I'll say about that...

--jc
--
Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)       snipped-for-privacy@flex.com     snipped-for-privacy@uhm.ampr.org

Re: C++ in embedded systems

Agree 100%

Ian

Re: C++ in embedded systems
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Mad@Spammers) wrote in message

Thank you all for your answers and debate. I read every post (or tried
to - there where some very short posts in the midst of long quotes I
just ignored :-( .)

All of them were very enlightening, even those aparently
controversial.

Regards.

Elder.

Re: C++ in embedded systems

I went to the site and couldn't find any such article.

Re: C++ in embedded systems
... snip ...

You will get a much more readable page by appending "?print=true"
to that URL