Boot on a without BIOS-support from USB

Hello all,
    I am newbie in this concept. I want to install a some mini-linux on a
external USB-HDD of PC. My problem is that the mainboard BIOS doesn't
support booting via USB.

Do I need make a special floppy that does the boot process and loads
the usb modules?
Did anyone succeed in boot on a without BIOS-support from USB?

Thanks in advance,

David

Re: Boot on a without BIOS-support from USB
David,
Sounds like a good plan.
Alternately, you could boot the kernel+modules from ethernet, cdrom or
from the BIOS itself (see linuxbios.org )

regards,

  | Damion de Soto --------------------------------------------------
Re: Boot on a without BIOS-support from USB
Hello,

Then you can't boot from USB without some special arrangements.

That may be an idea. Take a look at Damn Small - they should provide a
floppy.
It is also possible that solutions like Etherboot (www.etherboot.org) exist
for booting from USB.
Maybe this is a help to you:
http://syslinux.zytor.com/archives/2006-April/006789.html

I didn't try, because I don't have a computer without this capability.
Either the computer can boot from USB or it doesn't have it at all :-)

Regards

Site Timeline