transfering backup media

If you back up a PC to a removable drive, can the backup 'folder' on that removable media be copied to another drive and still be used to 'restore' the original PC? This using generic W7 back-up and restore program....

At the moment, there is no secure physical location to store the original removable backup media - carrying other needed files 'on the road'. I'd like to place the backup file contents into media with a less volatile environment.

RL

Reply to
legg

NEVER, NEVER use an OS'es "backup" facility, most especially MicroShit's. Since MSDOS 2.0, M$ changed their "backup" program on EVERY "revision" and that meant the "backups" were useless on all other versions. Has anyone tried a "backup" from Win7 for restore to Win7 SP1? It may or may not work. One can bet a "backup" from WinXP or from Win10 will NOT work.

In fact, NEVER use "backup" software; if you cannot load that software in its native OS, you are SOL.

Instead, do a COPY; the result is essentially guaranteed to work just like the original WITH NO FUSS of any kind.

Kapish?

As far as where you keep the COPY, the place could be on a nearby shelf, or in a fire-proof safe, or "on the cloud" (as long as it does not metaphorically speaking rain).

Reply to
Robert Baer

+1

always keep at least one backup offsite. That phrase 'the copy' worries me slightly!

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

When (not "if") your HD dies, do you want to $pend hours to configure the computer so it works, just to do yet another configure for a restore-from-backup or a restore-from-iso? A HD that is a copy can be put in and you are up and running in a minute or less (if you use removable HD kits); under ten minutes if you have to dis-assemble to pull bad HD and install good HD.

Reply to
Robert Baer

yes

que?

You can do that if you want. I've not found copies of the installed OS that useful myself. But if you maintain 1000 machines I'm sure they'll prove worth having. Backup of OS and backup of data are 2 quite different animals.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr