Plug In GFCI Device Avail. ?

a wall

an

They don't. Liability issues emanate from this like a basket full of vipers that's been smacked with a stick several times, then dumped on the ground.

Just go to a real hardware store with people who know what they're doing instead of the gum crackin' kids at HD. Get a deep jiffy box,

16-3 line cord with plug, a cord cinch to fit your line cord, a GFCI outlet, and put one together yourself. Make sure the green wire of the 16-3 cord is connected to the jiffy box itself. Use a self-locking nut or a lock washer with a separate screw here. Ask the real hardware person if you don't know what this is or what I'm talking about. And make sure you've used several layers of good electrical tape over the GFCI outlet -- on most of them, the screws are quite close to the side of the jiffy box.

It's not hard at all. If you don't know how, ask at the real hardware store or find someone who does.

This is a basic house electrical task. Questions of this type usually get a better response on sci.electronics.basics

Good luck Chris

Reply to
Chris

house.

Mr. Woodgate is correct. I'd never seen one either, so I thought they wouldn't exist.

Go to an electrical supply shop and ask for a Leviton 15A-125V GFCI Extension Cord Set (Model # 26591-37C). or equivalent.

The instruction manual that comes with this must be several hundred pages long, and written by a plague of lawyers!

Good luck Chris

Reply to
Chris

Hello:

Was wondering if anyone makes a GFCI device that would just plug into a wall outlet, and effectively be in series with, and provide protection to, an extension cord (with perhaps a drill at the end) ?

Have never seen any. None at HD either.

Beginning to believe they don't exist.

If not, why not ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

I read in sci.electronics.design that Chris wrote (in ) about 'Plug In GFCI Device Avail. ?', on Wed, 27 Apr 2005:

OTOH, they are not only freely available in UK (for 230 V, 13 A of course), but there are continual publicity campaigns to get people to use them for any and every appliance that is not used inside the house.

\'What is a Moebius strip?\'
John Woodgate

Hello Chris,

If there was one, it would probably cost about $100. $2 for production, $3 for profit and distribution and $95 for the liability insurance reserve.

I have seen extension cords with built-in GFCI though.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

They are also available in Australia but they must be attached to the user end of an extension cord as in the Clipsal E12, E13.

(Select ESP Portable RCD/MCB Protected Outlets from menu)

Reply to
Ross Herbert

I read in sci.electronics.design that Ken Taylor wrote (in ) about 'Plug In GFCI Device Avail. ?', on Thu, 28 Apr 2005:

In UK, ours are just an overgrown 13 A plug with a socket (and 'test' button) built-in. One, maybe the only, advantage of the large size of the plug. We can get the extensions (4 or 6 outputs, mostly) as well.

'What is a Moebius strip?'
John Woodgate

Some idiot will plug it into a 3-to 2-prong adapter that they haven't bothered to ground (AKA "cheater"), ergo no ground fault current, ergo no protection, ergo one more dead idiot with relatives with lawyers.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Well, imagine my surprise:

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

In

haven't

ergo

lawyers.

Wont stop it functioning If a court thinks thats the fault of the GFCI mfr they need a new jury.

and

applications).

Dont know what ukus is, but gfci and rcd are the same thing. Ours (UK RCDs) are usually 30mA, yours might be a different trip current.

the

doesn't.

same here. There are also a minority of ones that need an earth connection as well. Not sure why, but maybe they just check theres some kind of low impedance earth connection there. The old v-ELCBs needed 2 earth connections IIUC.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

A ground is not necessary for the circuit to work.

What the device does is to detect any small (~5mA) difference between the neutral and hot currents, using a type of CT. That difference is assumed to be due to a undesirable circuit to ground.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Aren't "RCD" and "GFCI" simply UKUS?

Why? The test button on the GFCIs, on this side of the pond, connect the load side hot to the line side neutral through a 15M(?) resistor. This unbalances the current transformer and the device trips. No ground is needed for GFCIs to operate.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Don't know if they are still available but I bought one 10-15 years ago for use with hedge trimmer and weed whacker.

Reply to
Michael

How do the voltage operated devices work?

Ah, I see. New installations are supposed to be grounded here too. Old (early '60s and before) may not be. A working GFCI is better than nothing.

--
  Keith
Reply to

UKUS == word differences between the UK and the US. You know; colour/color, Aluminium/Aluminum, and all that rot, eh?

--
  Keith
Reply to

Sir, I stand corrected. :-)

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

reserve.

You guys have a problem. Those little beasts (the GFCI, not the lawyers) are about $20 (Kiwi dollars, not even a real dollar!) and are basically a very short extension cord with a GFCI in the middle. Big deal, where are the issues??

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

I read in sci.electronics.design that Rich Grise wrote (in ) about 'Plug In GFCI Device Avail. ?', on Thu, 28 Apr 2005:

We don't have those in UK, and our units are not GFCIs but RCDs (Residual Current Detectors)- they operate on a difference in the L and N currents exceeding 30 mA (or 10 mA for some critical applications). So they WOULD work even if plugged into a non-grounded wall socket. However, they (or some of them) can also detect that condition - the test button doesn't work and you can't reset the breaker if it doesn't.

\'What is a Moebius strip?\'
John Woodgate

Yes they have been available like that in Australia too I have 2 of them. They may have been withdrawn I don't know, as my new house has a built in one because it is newer.

What is seen as the problem with this setup?

--
John G

Wot\'s Your Real Problem?
Reply to
John G

I read in sci.electronics.design that Keith Williams wrote (in ) about 'Plug In GFCI Device Avail. ?', on Thu, 28 Apr 2005:

The original GFCIs were like our original ELCBs - voltage-operated instead of current-operated - and DID need a ground.

The 'lock out' feature is there is because ALL our outlets are supposed to be earthed, so one that isn't is definitely dangerous, and because the earth conductor is looped through from one socket to the next, if one is faulty others MAY be (but not necessarily, because we mostly use ring-main wiring and not spurs).

\'What is a Moebius strip?\'
John Woodgate