Using a second computer case as an external SCSI enclosure

Hi All,

I have an ancient computer that's just collecting dust on my network, and I'd like to use it as an enclosure to hold (and power) a few SCSI devices, one DVD burner and two hard drives. It will be connected to my primary system with proper cabling (an interior-exterior SCSI cable adapter, etc), and the devices will be run off the exterior SCSI port on the controller in my primary system.

My question has to to with the Sparkle (SPI) FSP300-60GT power supply in this secondary machine. I know these supplies require a minimum load on certain rails, although I have no idea which rails, and what voltage is required on each.

If I use this supply to run the three SCSI devices, but don't connect the motherboard or any other power leads, will this be enough to satisfy its minimum load requirements?

I hope I've described my question clearly, and I appreciate any help or info.

Thanks,

Jeff

Reply to
<nospam

Short answer. Yes ! You will need to ground the PS (Green wire) to turn it on. Or any older AT PSU with a real mains switch. In which case you will need to load the 5V to draw about an amp.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Either MCM (MCMinOne.com) or newegg has a power supply test load for a couple of bucks. Attach it to the 20 or 24 pin mainboard connector and it will take care of the problem.

Reply to
firebird-jmw

They are not meant to be used on a continuous basis. They get too hot to touch in under a minute, and every one I've seen says not to use for more than one minute at a time.

--
And another motherboard bites the dust!
Reply to

I agree ! You could cook eggs on my 120w test load within a few minutes... Great on a cold morning though. :-)

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Chances are that the 5V and 12V loads will be fine.

Yes, it's been done before. Just a storage subsystem.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore