Elemental question

What is the simplest way to reduce the heat coming from the heating element on a cheap 110v, 8a, (650 deg F) heat gun? My math says it uses about 880 watts, so I looked and a 1000 watt dimmer switch would cost about $35, which is nearly twice the cost of the heat gun. Its a lazy way to do it and slows down the fan :( A $100+ 1000 watt resistor needs a heat sink and only makes sense if youre going to treat AC like DC. (which I am familiar with) Im trying to teach myself AC circuitry, but Im not looking in the right place or just not comprehending it yet. Any tips on doing it right?

Reply to
Daniel Morrow

Use a diode in series with the heating element. Halves the output.

Wim

Reply to
Wim Ton

While you are at it make sure the peak forward current rating and the peak inverse voltage rating of the diode are sufficient for the application.

Reply to
<chuckprim

Put a 100-300 (trial-and-error) watt, 110 volt light bulb in series with the gun (slows everything).

Or

Mount a mini-candelabra socket on top of the gun and wire it in series with the heating element....experiment with bulbs again.

Reply to
Paweber02

I picked up a used Variac at a local "hamfest" swap meet for five bucks and use it for *everything*.

--
"Just machines that make big decisions
 programmed by fellas with compassion and vision."

Been there, done that :) I did this to a 40W soldering iron when my Antex broke and I really needed it to do some fine work.

-A

Reply to
Andre