what will happen if an SLA battery is overcharged for a few hours?

Say, 4 hours? To 8.3VDC?

Battery still works, but for how long...?

Long story. To summarize: I won't trust those cheap Chinese chargers anymore.

Should have used my LM317, but I trusted them... ha

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

** When fully charged and under charge, a SLA battery voltage rises to about 2.75 volts per cell. So 8.25 volts for a 3 cell battery.

If charging continues at high current ( say at the 1 hour rate) - the cell will explode violently.

I once knew a fellow who fell asleep while trying to quick charge his 12 volt SLA - he woke up with a HELL of a fright with bits of SLA battery all over the bedroom !!

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Say, where did you get the 2.75V per cell figure?

This site

says that

2.50V/cell is pretty much the max for SLAs, with the exception of Hawker Cyclone batteries (2.60V).

Yep, I forgot to mention, I'm charging 6V SLA, with a wall-wart power supply that's limited to about 1A max.

Ok, thanks. That hasn't happened to me yet... ;-)

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

** Some of us have actual experience of things - d*****ad.

You only need a voltmeter to verify the figure with any SLA battery.

Make sure it is an SLA battery, not a wet cell that outgasses when overcharged.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Some of us actually know how to read and cite references. None of the ones I found recommend as high a voltage as 2.75V per cell.

So, I ask you again. Where did you get the 2.75V per cell figure?

Put up or shut up.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett