Replacement policy based on reliability

Hello,

I am not sure if I'm posting to the right ng, but probably somebody can point me to a good place. I just get assigned a new job as Network Engineer for a company with about 1500 PCs, internet access for every PC, dozens of routers, bridges, switches, CSU/DSU and family.

My boss is asking me to get an exact topology of the whole company with all possible info I can grab about this equipment.

The reason I am posting is that she wants me to get the estimated lifetime of every equipment we have, so I can build the annual budget of the IT department knowing which equipments are close to reach the expected lifetime.

Where can I learn about this ? How people plan for this kind of things ? What are the scientific methods that can back my decision of let's say buy replacement for the 2-5% of the current replacement ?

My personal experience is that a Cisco 25xx for example, works

365/24/7 for years with no complaint (I had 3 in my old company, and never broke in 5 years). Should I invest in spare equipments or in new tecnology ?

Well, you should have an idea of what my concerns are by now.

Thanks a lot for any pointers,

REgards Tummy

Reply to
bumba

Sounds like you need "asset management" tools and or "network topology analysis". Try giving Computer Associates a call. Tell them the size of you company and what you want to achieve and I'm sure they would come and give you and the boss a free presentation of their capabilities. I suggest you give CA some idea of your budget or they will make it all sound too expensive and the boss will say no to the lot.

Ask about a subset of "Unicenter Asset Management "perhaps...

Quote: Unicenter Asset Management is a comprehensive solution for proactively managing IT assets in a business environment. It provides full-featured asset tracking capabilities through automated discovery, hardware inventory, software inventory, configuration management, software usage monitoring, software license management and extensive cross-platform reporting.

Colin (not connected with CA and I've never used their products myself)

Reply to
CWatters

Thanks for your reply, I followed your link and I learned a lot about it.

Reply to
bumba